Seventeen

Sneaking out of Slughorn's party, Harry stealthily followed the echo of footsteps knowing it was Snape and Malfoy. Hearing the footfalls come to an halt, Harry flattened himself against the wall, peering around the corner to the next corridor to see Snape glaring at Malfoy.

It seemed Harry had already missed some of the conversation as he only managed to catch some of Snape's next sentence which peaked Harry's interests and confirmed Harry's suspicions that's Malfoy was up to something. "...cannot afford mistakes, Draco, because if you are expelled--"

"I didn't have anything to do with it, all right?" Malfoy snapped, his arms crossed firmly against his chest.

Snape didn't comment on Malfoy interrupting him which Harry found very rich because if Harry were in Draco's position, Harry would be as good as dead now. "I hope you are telling the truth, because it was both clumsy and foolish."

"And stop looking at me like that! I know what you're doing." Malfoy fumed.

Snape leered. "Ah, so your Aunt Bellatrix has been teaching you Occlumency, has she. What thoughts are you concealing from your Master, Draco?"

Harry leaned in closer. So he had been right; Draco was working for Voldemort!

Malfoy looked uncomfortable but he sneered at Snape all the same. "Nothing from him. From you. It's my job, I'm doing it, it's just taking me a bit longer and I don't need your help!"

Harry watched Snape take a deep breath, clearly trying to conrol his emotions. "If you tell me your plan, I can assist you, Draco."

"Want to steal my glory, more like. I don't need you!" Harry couldn't help but roll his eyes at Malfoy.

It seemed Malfoy had had enough of this conversation, for he stalked towards Harry's direction. Harry had just enough time to slink into the shadows; unnoticed before Draco entered the corridor.

The last think Harry saw as he snuck away, knowing the confrontation was over, was Snape staring after Malfoy, his face inscrutable.

>>>

Robyn watched Harry dissappear and for once, she decided to do some snooping of her own.

She could've sworn she saw Noah and it was going to drive her crazy until she found out who exactly was sneaking around.

Robyn snuck past Slughorn and Hermione and slipped out the door, walking down the corridor in the direction she saw the person go.

Robyn really didn't know how she was going to find out if it was Noah or not because even if she found him, she doubted he would admit to sneaking around after hours.

But it seemed luck was on her side as she saw one of Noah's friends walking down the corridor. He was a Prefect, so Robyn didn't have to question why he was there.

She walked up to him. "Hey, Jacob, isn't it?"

"Yes and who are you?"

Robyn shuffled her feet. "Robyn."

Recollection glowed in Jacob's eyes. "Oh, so you're Robyn. Nice to finally meet you."

Robyn didn't like the fact that Noah was talking about her to his friends but smiled none the less. "You too."

A moment of silence went by until Jacob spoke up. "Is there something you wanted?"

"Yes there was actually, I was wondering if you knew where Noah's been all night?"

Jacob looked at her weirdly. "In the Ravenclaw common room, why?"

Robyn felt her face heat up. So she had been wrong. "Oh, I just saw someone wandering around and it looked a lot like Noah, so I thought I'd ask."

Robyn noticed Jacob's shoulders tense. "Well he's been in his dorm all night."

Robyn took note of how Jacob looked suddenly uncomfortable.

Robyn plastered a smile on her face. "Okay, thank you."

With that, she turned on her heels and walked back to Slughorn's party to wait for Harry. She didn't like doubting people but Jacob was acting weird and so Robyn was back to square one; was it Noah she saw and if so, what was he doing?

>>>

As soon as Harry had snuck successfully away from Snape and Malfoy, his first thought was to go to Dumbledore and he did just that.

Harry entered without knocking, the thought not even crossing his mind. He was breathless from running.

Dumbledore was by the fire, reading which Harry deemed unusual as he was so used to seeing Dumbledore sitting behind his desk.

"Professor! I need to talk to you. It's about Snape." Harry knew he was being impolite but at that moment he didn't care. His mind was reeling; Malfoy was a Death Eater and Snape wanted to help. Surely this put Hogwarts in a great deal of danger.

Dumbledore closed his book and looked pointedly at Harry.  "Professor Snape, Harry."

Harry shrugged this off and finally let out the thing he had come to say. "Listen to me. Draco Malfoy's doing something. I don't know what, but it's got to do with Voldemort, I know it does. And it's bad. And Snape's helping him!"

Dumbledore sighed and looked down. He didn't look at Harry with frustration or shock at the news which confused Harry a lot. "Harry--"

"I heard them talking!"

"Harry. Whatever you heard, I must ask you to believe me on two things. I know what concerns Draco Malfoy, and I have it in hand. And I trust Severus Snape with my life." Dumbledore said, looking at Harry gently.

Harry looked up to Dumbledore; he really did but times like this he wished Dumbledore wouldn't be so trusting. Snape wasn't trustworthy and if something wasn't done about Malfoy than who knows what will happen. "You didn't hear them--"

Dumbledore was looking pointedly at Harry again. "Harry, I am blessed with more than adequate brainpower. And I know things about both Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape that you do not, and I would have you trust me concerning this. Do not pursue this any more. I have, I think, left you with enough to pursue. Have you been successful in obtaining the memory from Slughorn, as I charged you?"

Harry suddenly felt ashamed. He had gotten nowhere with Slughorn. "No."

"I see. Then all I have to add is to wish you a Happy Christmas, Harry."

Harry was silent. He felt ashamed he had let Dumbledore down with the task but angry that Dumbledore wasn't doing anything about Malfoy and Snape.

Trying not to think about it too much, Harry left and with the thought that at least Dumbledore knew something was going on with Malfoy was enough to convice Harry to go back to Slughorn's party and try to apologise to Robyn for leaving her...

(I am so sorry this is so late. Please forgive me. I hope enjoyed it at least. Until next time.)