Chapter 23: Thanksgiving

The sweet autumnal fragrance that greeted me as I opened the door could only mean one thing - pumpkin pie! Either it was almost finished baking in the oven or else it was cooling on the counter.

The newspaper beneath my mud-clogged boots crinkled, the freshly fallen rain soaking into the dry pages. My socked feet felt odd on the tile, they always did after so long constrained by laces and leather.

The pie was already on the counter, the cinnamon colored filling delicately wrinkled all the way to a golden crust. It was all I could do not to grab a knife and dig in, but if I did that how would I stop myself?

It's not about the turkey or ham for me, or the stuffing, or even the roasted potatoes. Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff and thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without it.

But a holiday that's all about getting the family together, being thankful for all that we have; each other, our home and the food we eat.

Being able to sit around the table, all of us together and thank God, that's just magic to me. It's a holiday when we just kick back and celebrate how wonderful our ordinary lives are. That's what I  love about Thanksgiving.

But at the same time I knew that at the time for the deployment is getting closer and closer. How could I leave Letty and the children for a whole year?

As I entered the apartment I was bombarded with the screaming of little children. As I got closer and closer to the source of the screaming I saw that Tanner was playing with Layne, Marcie and Dixie.

I knew that I had to talk to Letty about the feelings that have been creeping up on me about the way that I feel for her. But I know that Tanner has feelings for her from when they were dating when they were in high school.

It was getting closer to the date of the deployment. We were to be deployed the week after Thanksgiving. That means that we are going to be out of the country for Christmas. But what do I need to do about the feelings that I have for her?

As for the Christmas holidays I want to celebrate with my family but I guess I can celebrate it with my platoon mates. I can Skype Letty and the kids.

It's not about the turkey for me, or the stuffing, or even the roast potatoes. Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff and thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without it.

But a holiday that's all about getting the family together, being thankful for all that we have; each other, our home and the food we eat. Being able to sit around the table, all of us together and thank God, that's just magic to me. It's a holiday when we just kick back and celebrate how wonderful our ordinary lives are.

“Thank you for coming to thanksgiving,” she said as she gave me a heart warming hug.

“I really appreciate it. I know my family is crazy and, and I’m glad you were there. You helped me keep some of my sanity.”

As I sat to work on the dough for the next pie Derek asked if he could help me with what I was doing.

The hum of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade echoed in from the living room as you worked the roll dough across the counter, the sweet scent of fresh baked pies lingering in the air as they cooled.

Eyeing the clock on the wall, you tried to make up a mental timeline for the meal. Fangs was supposed to bring the turkey by early, so you could get it in the roaster, and the rest of the sides would come along when everyone else showed up.

It would take a lot of rotating and warming plates, but you should be able to get everything on the table by five.

With Tanner keeping the kids occupied with the parade and getting ready for dinner, Derek and I was able to get dinner down.

Table tops layered with trays of the most delicious food and drinks lined the walls, delicacies capable of making one's mouth water: a golden brown turkey with dressing, maple and brown sugar baked ham,  greenbean casserole, broccoli and cheese casserole, sweet potato casserole and hot yeast rolls with butter dripping down the sides. Each table contained either hot soup or hearty casserole.

As Derek and I got the table ready dinner there was knocks on the apartment door. As I went to open it the was a bunch of rowdy Marines and army personal at my door with all kinds of Thanksgiving desserts and sides.