Useless

Reyna

Fear took its permanent hold over her.

A forest loomed before her, one filled with green and moonlight. She could hear laughter laced in the voices of those who sang, a melody even with the off pitch voices that sang it smooth in her ears. The sound was what Reyna had pictured as a normal childhood, one without worry and instead filled with the music and joy. 

Reyna followed the voices, though they didn't seem to grow louder even as she walked towards them, and the scenery did not change in the slightest as she followed the sounds of laughter.

The laughter changed abruptly to screams, and a chill ran throughout Reyna's body as she quickened her pace, running passed the same exact trees as the urgency coursed over the adrenaline in her veins.

One young voice cut short at the sound of tearing, and Reyna could suddenly picture the blood flying. Girls shouted in panic, wolves howling as they growled and fought. 

No matter how hard the praetor struggled, she did not grow closer to the sounds. 

A figure in silver dashed passed her, just as a blood curling scream filled the night air.

==

It changed, becoming the scene of familiarity. Reyna stood in the Garden of Bacchus, hands tight around the rim of the fountain. Her arms shook as she let go of it, trying to get the screams out of her mind.

She turned to find figures around her. A man stood tall as he looked over New Rome, armor underneath his purple cape. "What of the others?" he asked, brown eyes unreadable as they looked over the horizon.

A different man appeared behind him, his armor slightly crooked with the helmet tucked under his arm. "Perished. Gone. No more. I-" the praetor raised his open palm, and the legionnaire fell silent.

"You may go." he dismissed, the legionnaire bowing slightly before running down the steps of the garden. He turned to the fountain. "You may come out, now."

Reyna believed he spoke of her, but then saw a figure appear next to her, a woman in what looked like hunter's clothing. Her clothes rippled as she walked, her face appearing and vanishing easily in the dimming light. "Now." she repeated, stopping beside him.

He looked back up to the city, his stance similar to that of Reyna, his skin the same Hispanic tone as hers. "If only the gods had not cursed you, it would be easier to decipher your warning."

"Decipher your warning," she repeated miserably, voice filled with sadness.

"How long do we have?" he asked, looking at her. "Three days? Two?"

"Two," she confirmed.

He sighed, leaning forward against the railing. "Will they come?" Reyna wondered who he meant, and who he was.

"They come," she echoed, no question in her voice.

"I must go," he said, standing before walking away from her. She grabbed hold of his arm, her appearance still shimmering, so Reyna only saw her in the movement rather than her. "What, Echo?" he asked, annoyed. "They will arrive in two days."

She shook her head. "Days."

He tilted his head slightly. "Not days?"

"Not days." she confirmed.

"Then what? Months? Weeks? Years?" She shook her head to each. "Decades?"

She nodded. "Decades."