Chapter 27: The Airport

The airport looked more like a shopping mall than anything I had expected. The tiles under foot gleamed white and everywhere were people milling around. There were two glass elevators leading to an upper floor which had the appearance of a food mall.

And in the middle of several large open areas were blue fabric covered seats. The air was cool and only the faint aroma coming down from the food area gave it any scent. Some stairs lead up to a viewing deck where eager children watched the airplanes take off and land.

There were mounted telescopes for them to look through and the back wall was one large window. Behind the telescopes was a scale model of the airport with the runways marked on it.

Leaving as early as we did ment more time for the kids and I to spend with Derek and Tanner. I know that this isn't the first deployment for Tanner and I but it feels like the first.

Knowing that he would be gone for twelve months was hard enough in me but I can only imagine how Dixie, Marcie and Layne is feeling.

As I thought that I looked over at Derek and he was carrying a crying Layne.

He sobbed into his chest unceasingly, hands clutching at his jacket. He held him in silence, rocking him slowly as his tears soaked his chest.

A tiny lapse let him pull away, blinking lashes heavy with tears, before he collapsed again, his howls of misery worsening.

The heartache must have come in waves, minutes of sobbing broken apart by short pauses for recovering breaths, before hurling him back into the outstretched arms of his grief.

As I look around the airport I see more and more military families show up for the departure of their loved ones to the Middle East. The airport terminal was nothing but military fatigues.

As the time gets closer for the departure time, I knew that we had to do something.

"Hey guys, why don't we go to Applebee's and get something to eat before you all leave for your deployment?" I suggested as I was looking up at the food mall.

"I think that we could do that, it will probably be the last good meal that we have until we both get back stateside." Both men said as we headed to the busy restaurant.

The restaurant was full. I looked around at the busy tables. An old couple eating side by side, one glass of wine each, studiously bent over their meals.

A group of young women in their thirties collapsing with helpless giggles as a stern woman dining alone nearby looked on and frowned. Businessmen in their grey suits lighting up cigars.

American tourists, trying to decipher the menu. A family and their teenage children. The noise level was high. The smoke level, too. But it didn't bother me. I was used to it.

As we walked into the door the only thing that we could see was fatigues. The wait was not long maybe fifteen minutes.

As we finally got seated in a booth we got to order as we were sat down.

We got six gut busting, best-dressed seared to sizzle-crisp on the outside. Sloppy with chin-dripping juice on the inside cheeseburgers and chili and cheese french fries. We also order six Dr Pepper's.

******************************

As we got down with one of the best meals that we have had in a while the airport agent call for flight two-two-three. As Derek payed the bill we left a twenty dollar bill on the table for waitress.

As Derek and Tanner filled in line with the rest of the soldiers were giving their loved ones as we got closer to the front of the line Tanner gave Dixie Marcie and Layne a long hug. When he got to me he told me that he put a container Hershey kisses on the kitchen counter and that the kids were to have one before bedtime every night until he comes back.

As Tanner got I me I knew that I was about to cry.

"Don't cry Letty, I will try to call you when I can. I will even try to Skype you once in a while. You just keep your promise and send letters and care packages."

As I went to answer him I felt his warm lips on mine as I was shocked that he was kissing me I responded by kissing him back. As the kiss came to a end the only thing that I could think of to say was what came out of my mouth.

"I guess that this is goodbye."

"Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means I'll miss you until we meet again."