『Chapter Five』

As Shizuo was getting something appropriate to wear, I observed the kitchen once more. It was dirtier up close. The floor wasn't that bad, just a few crumbs. The stove had burnt food on it, and the walls were splattered with who-knows-what. I had a feeling that Shizuo didn't know how to cook. When Shizuo came out with a black T-shirt on, I was surprised. I was expecting his bartender outfit since I thought that was the only thing he had.

Shizuo seemed to notice my amazement. "What." He said. "You haven't seen me with 'casual clothes'?" I felt the blood rushing through my face. "No." I said. Shizuo looked hot in casual clothes. "Are there any stores that are open at 2 in the morning?" I asked, changing the subject. "Convenience store." Shizuo said. "That's all I can think of right now." "That'll do." I said. As I walked ahead to the door, I stopped. "Aren't you supposed to be leading the way?" "I couldn't sleep 'cause some girl was muttering my name, and I'm going to go to a store at 2 a.m., half-asleep. Do you think I'm enthusiastic at the moment?" Shizuo said passing me to the door.

I felt bad when he said that. I noticed I was completely acting like... well, a bitch. And when I'm acting bitchy, it usually means I'm extremely mad. I supposed my attitude fit the situation pretty well. "Sorry." "Whatever." He said after a while when we started walking. The morning was dark, not one person in sight. In the distance, Sunshine 60 glittered alive.

I imagined how terrible it was to work this late... or early. Whatever. "I wonder how that's doing..." I said, muttering to myself. "What's doing what?" Shizuo asked. "Oh, this one restaurant that's high above Sunshine 60. I think it's floor 58 or 59. I remember when I was really young, my family and I were shopping at Alpa and we were hungry. So my dad suggested to waste some money and go up the floors of Sunshine 60. We found a fancy restaurant on one floor but realized how full it was. Since we were already up the building, we decided to go up to the roof. It was so beautiful." I realized I was practically talking to myself now. "Sorry, I know you don't care about this..." "It's fine," Shizuo said. He paused a little. "Maybe we'll go there someday." My face warmed up. "We?" "Yeah." Shizuo said. "What's wrong with that?" The thought of eating dinner with Shizuo at a fancy restaurant made me dizzy. "Nothing." I replied.

We didn't say anything until we got to the convenience store. We started discussing which brand of anti-cockroach spray would be better (I didn't know they would have it there!) and also which dish soap would be best. After we finished choosing the best we can find, we went to the cashier to purchase our items. The cashier was a tired-looking man about my age, yawning as he scanned each item. I felt sorry for the poor guy, not getting any sleep at this hour. Then again, Shizuo was in the same situation.

I was absolutely determined to clean the kitchen when we got home. I told Shizuo that it's best if we clean the kitchen walls, stove, etc. before the floor as he got the vacuum out. He put the vacuum away and sat down, waiting for orders. "I don't know where to start." I muttered, turning my back on Shizuo. "Maybe the fridge. No, the counters. What do you think, Shizuo?" I turned around and saw Shizuo sleeping silently. He was fast asleep this time since he was snoring adorably.

I sighed in disbelief. Then I looked at him again and smiled. "I guess I have to clean by myself, eh?" I walked over and tried to pick Shizuo up. I did and surprisingly, he didn't wake up. I staggered to the bedroom and tried to set him down on the bed as softly as I can. He was still sound asleep. I decided to clean the counters first. Then the stove. Then the walls. I killed 7 cockroaches in the process. When I was done with everything that needed to be done, I looked at my watch.

4:39 A.M.

I looked up from my watch and examined my work. The walls were back to their original color (white), and the stove was sparkly clean. The floor was shinier than ever, and the dishes were neatly on the drying rack, nice and clean. Best of all, I killed all the cockroaches. My eyelids began to become heavy again. I yawned, laying down. I was so tired, and it was still slightly dark. I thought I could sleep another hour or so. As I stared at the leg of the coffee table, my vision gradually faded to black.

[Flashback]

My heart was pounding the morning after I got Rudy's watch. I was afraid to face him again, especially with his watch on my wrist. What was he going to say? How would I respond? I was nervous as hell. It was second period when I heard it. The terrible muttering in the corner. "Did you hear about it?" A boy whispered. "Yeah, yeah! It's terrible, don't you think?" Another boy whispered back. "I mean, who would kill themself just because their mom left the house? Like seriously?" "That's so not Rudy-like. Something happened. My bet is--" "Excuse me." I interrupted, "but did you just say..." "You didn't hear about it? Rudy committed suicide just last night."

[Flashback End]

I woke up shaking and sweaty. I felt like I had a fever, cold and hot at the same time. The morning sun blinded me. I got up and Shizuo was sitting next to me, shirtless (again). He was looking out the balcony window until he saw me. "You don't look so good." He said. "You're pale." "I'm fine." I lied.

Shizuo seemed to see through it. "You are probably the worst liar I have ever met." "Okay, you want to know that bad? I had a bad dream, okay?" I said I noticed how harsh I sounded. "I'm sorry." I said after a while. Shizuo was silent. I was afraid I really crossed the line, giving him that attitude and all. His stare at me was getting uncomfortable. "Look." I said. "I'm really sorry I woke you up last night. And I'm sorry I dragged you to the store, I'm sorry--" My voice choked, realizing my vision getting fuzzy. "I'm sorry I'm staying here." I looked down, waiting for Shizuo to start yelling at me or something.

Instead, he wrapped his arms around me. My face burned. I managed to hug him back without fainting. His bare chest felt smooth against my cheek, and he smelled like soap. He must have taken a shower. "What was that for?" I managed to ask after we pulled apart. "To shut you up." Shizuo said blankly. After a small silence, he added. "And also for carrying me to the bed last night." I could have sworn I saw a slight redness on his cheeks before he looked away.

" I could have sworn I saw a slight redness on his cheeks before he looked away