Ch. 28 My World

Ch. 28

My World

“I can’t do that, Ryan.” Allie said flatly. “Sorry.”

“Why not?” Ryan whined. Allie adjusted her phone, putting it to her other ear and sighing.

She was standing in the kitchenette of Jasmine’s bus, staring blankly into the refrigerator while simultaneously talking to Ryan and Chaz on the phone. The two boys had called her from Ryan’s phone a few minutes ago; at first they had just talked to her about random things, asking her how she was, until they had seemed to get to the subject they were most wanting to discuss: Justin. 

“Because,” Allie replied, shutting the refrigerator. “You know perfectly well what he did. I’m not about to just forgive him.”

“Come on, Allie!” Chaz’s voice said with exasperation. “He said he was sorry! Can’t you just give him a chance?”

“No, guys!” Allie said. “I’m sick of being played like that, this is the second time someone’s done something like that, and I’m not about to let myself be fooled again.”

“He’s not trying to fool you, though. Honestly. He truly is sorry for what he did.” Ryan said.

“Yeah.” Chaz agreed.

“Says the guys who took part in the bet, too.” Allie said bitterly.

There was an awkward silence on the other end for a few moments.

“Erm...right...about that...” Chaz said uncomfortably. “Look...we’re really sorry.”

“We didn’t think it would get so out of hand like this.” Ryan explained. “We actually just did it as a joke, we really weren’t trying to hurt you, Allie, we swear.”

Allie let out a sigh. “It’s fine, I’m not mad at you guys. I mean...I am, but I’m more upset by the fact that once we started to become friends and hang out and stuff, neither of you bothered to tell me about it.”

Another silence followed.

“Sorry.” Ryan’s voice replied.

“Like I said, it doesn’t really matter. You guys weren’t the ones actually doing the bet, so...it’s whatever.” Allie stated.

“Well...Allie...I mean...” Ryan began tentatively. “This is as much our fault as Justin’s. You can’t put all the blame on him, we were the ones encouraging him, and like you said, we could’ve told you about it so many times, and we didn’t.”

Allie let out a sigh. “Okay, I guess you have a point.”

Allie could only imagine Ryan and Chaz grinning triumphantly on the other end.

“But, just tell me one thing.” She said.