Chapter 8

Pete scanned the grounds in search of a flaming red head of hair. It was hard to see through the stirred up mixture of silt and blood, mingled with pieces of lamprey suspended in their watery grave, before descending to the lakes bottom. Zane rested his hand on Pete's shoulder and he felt his muscles contract. "She is over there brother. We have injuries, but they lost lives today.A shadowed cast over them making them tense up. As their eyes climbed upward there was a giant Viking Merman. He was four times the size of any of Pete's pod; and had Sal in his arms.

In a thunderous voice the Viking interjected, "Your huntress will live."

Salmonia looked like a rag doll, small and withered in arms bigger in width than her body. Meranda had made her way next to Pete. She reached out to move the tangled hair from her friend's beautiful brave face, when she noticed a crimson cloud forming around Salmonia's head.

As if the sun was blocked by a solar eclipse, shadows darkened around them. Meranda adhered herself closer to Pete, as she waited for danger. Her mouth dropped open, as she stared wide eyed, at five of the largest mermen she could ever imagine, in her brief knowledge of merfolks.

The outcome today would have been different if it wasn't for the Viking warriors Pete had sent for the day after the massacre. The mildly wounded helped gather the severely wounded and they headed home. The day had started out a relaxing tour of the northern shores of Lake Superior, and in a moments time almost turned into another devastating slaughter.

It took forever to get back to the caves she now called home.  Meranda hadn't realized they had gone so far. She had been distracted by the beauty of this underwater world, now she just wanted to get back to the caves and make sure Sal was okay. She also wanted to find out more about those giant mermen and where they came from? Why were they so big? They looked like they popped out of a folklore book. All dressed in armor and carrying seven foot long swords sheath at their hips.

The five warriors covered an area that would take fifty normal-sized mermen to fill. Each warrior the size of a killer whale, yet graceful and fast as they sailed through the water surrounding her and Pete.

The pod began their descent approaching the caves hidden entrance, beneath the  cliffs. She hadn't noticed when they began their journey that they had gone through a narrow tunnel before coming out into the lake.

As they neared the wall, Meranda jerked back. She couldn't see the opening. She only saw a crack in the rocks. The split didn't look big enough to fit through, but each merman disappeared single file. Zane went in with his back first as he pulled Salmonia through the entryway.

Next, it was her turn, and Pete nudged her toward the opening. Meranda kicked her legs and with her arms at her sides followed the mer in front of her. The tunnel widened just past the thin entryway until it opened into the familiar pool port.

Meranda was surprised when she popped up like a bobber and was lifted out of the water. With the return of her body weight she flopped onto the rocks sprawled out like the days catch.

In moments, Pete appeared alongside of her. "Do you feel okay Meranda?" He reached over and peeled off the film that covered her face. Meranda leaned back and took in a huge breath even though it hurt her lungs to inflate them to their full capacity and nodded yes.

While catching her breath, Meranda turned around catching a glimpse of Pete's well-muscled backside as he finished pulling on his pants. Meranda felt a giggle in her stomach that radiated downward and she quickly turned back around to allow him his privacy.

She will have to ask him how he changes from a tail to legs and back again, apparently it doesn't include clothes. As she sat there in her giggly mindset she was lifted to a standing position by Pete.