Chapter 20

The Father of the Lake called for a celebration, "We will have a victory feast and farewell to our Norse warriors. Without the warriors, the casualties would have been many, and their aid in the rescue of our huntress goes without saying." Pete's father had left the festivity arrangements to Salmonia.

The death of the serpent spread a much needed lightheartedness throughout the clan. Sadly, it also meant that the warriors would be going back home. Most of the pod had become very fond of the Vikings, except Zane. He appreciated their help, but was more than ready to resume being top commander of this pod.

In the meantime, the cavern was buzzing and everyone seemed to be doing something, including Salmonia, despite her forced human state. She was glad that she had previously filled all the holding tanks with fish. The twins, Eira and Einar, were bustling in the kitchen and had trays of fish lined up ready to be served.

In Salmonia's absence Eira had stepped into the role as kitchen manager; and would someday make some merman a very good wife, if that is what she chose. With her being a natural born mermaid, her bloodline was crucial to the next generation, being most natural born mer were male.

The Viking warriors were enjoying themselves and shared stories of when they were young, of a time when the population of the mer was large and they owned the seas and oceans. When the number of serpents peaked in the thousands and territories were respected, and there was an understanding between species with the mer at the top of that chain ruling the oceans. The warriors had faraway looks of sadness in their eyes remembering the old days.

The music played on until the late into the night before the gala came to an end. Everyone's bellies were full and skins of wine had been passed around as they had toasted the motherlands and anything else anyone could think of.

Roselyn had hung on every word until her mother motioned for her to head back to their quarters. Salmonia had had enough socializing for one night; she too could not wait until things returned to normal.

Salmonia smiled as her daughter babbled all the way back to their quarters, her eyes glossy with all she had heard. It had been a lengthy day and it didn't take long for Roselyn to fall asleep with a smile on her face. Sal no sooner let out a long exhausted breath when Roselyn woke up screaming for her, "Momma save the girl, she's drowning."

Sal rushed over to her daughter and smoothed back the sweat drench curls from her face, stroking her head until she fell back to sleep. Puzzled Salmonia passed it off that she must have had too much stimulation this evening with all the festivities and curled up next to her baby girl.

By the time everyone woke the next morning, the warriors were gone. Everything seemed as it should be; until Roselyn woke up, "Mother?"

"Hey baby, I'm right here." Salmonia had been up for a couple of hours already and came to sit by her daughter. She had been through so much lately.
Roselyn blinked the sleepiness from her eyes and looked at her mother, "Did you save her?"

Salmonia's eyebrows pinched together and she poked out her chin, "Save who, baby?"

"The girl and her mother--they were drowning. Did daddy save them?" Roselyn's eyes opened bigger as she waited for her mother's response.

"Honey, it was a dream, no one was drowning." Salmonia tried to sound reassuring.

"No mama it wasn't a dream--I saw it. I saw the ship sink. The girl was with her mother and they went down with the ship. All the sailors went down too. It wasn't a dream!" Roselyn clenched her fists and pressed them at her sides.