Chapter 14

Salmonia reveled in the fresh water, as it cleansed the green slime of her face and body. The pod took the long way back to the compound purposely avoiding the barrels. Her skin still had a green tint to it, but her hair flowed free and vibrant red. She nuzzled closer to Zane needing to feel safe. The warriors surrounded them aware of anything that twitched or rippled in the lake.

All Sal wanted at that moment, was to throw her arms around her little girl and stretch her body out in the familiarity of their quarters. She had been so cramped in that barrel, and forced to breathe in toxic slime making her feel sick.

She had known her pod would come for her,  that they'd piece things together. What she didn't know was that without Meranda's keen eye during her own attack, it might have been too late.

As they approached the entryway to the compound Roselyn came shooting out like the birth of a seahorse and latched on to her mother with everything she had. Pete had let go of Sal, but Zane had repositioned himself behind Sal to support her in an upright position. Something she couldn't do herself with half a tail while she embraced her daughter who was now crying uncontrollably.

The warriors stood with their backs to the inside circle while Sal, Roselyn, and Zane rejoiced. Zane was nervous about being outside the cave and as soon as he could guide his family into the safety of the cave the sooner he could fully take a breath. Then the warriors would be able to retreat to their quarters after a successful mission. 

Once inside, Sal was able to calm Rosie down; she looked up and saw Meranda standing there with tear filled eyes. Meranda couldn't put her feelings into words, but was so thankful that Sal was alive. Blinking her eyes to clear her vision she noticed the green glow to Sal's skin.

She knew immediately it was the toxicants. What did they do to her...force feed the slime to her? Meranda's stomach tightened and she knew she needed to get to the lab first thing in the morning and check the samples. Salmonia was alive; they would get through the rest.

Meranda knew she would have to run some tests on Sal and the green coloring would flush out of her system in a few days. From what Meranda had seen of the infected lampreys she doubted that things were going to be that simple. Meranda wasn't concerned that contact with Sal was dangerous, but felt an urgency to see what was going on internally. Meranda glanced at Pete who was watching her reaction and he knew she was already on it.

Zane decided the party was over and that Salmonia needed to rest. Whisking her up in his powerful arms, he bid everyone goodnight and took his family to their quarters. He wasn't sure if Salmonia's tail would rejuvenate or not, but it paled in the fact that she was alive. Meranda on the other hand was wondering how it would affect her human form.

Once everyone left, Pete sought out Meranda, "A penny for your thoughts while I walk you to your quarters."

"Do you have time for a glass of wine? After a day like today I know I could use one." Meranda eyed him respectfully. After seeing him at the council meeting made her realize that he was not Pete her boss, CEO of the Environmental Protection Agency, but a Prince, protector of seas.

"What would be your pleasure, white, red, bubbly, or dry?" The lines in Pete's face soften.

"I think a fruity red would be nice." Meranda took this opportunity to show Pete she had become worldlier than the girl who had first come here, at least in knowing her wines.

"I have a sweet red wine from California that I think you would like." Pete was good at matching his wines with the occasions.

Meranda smiled as she walked over to the cubbies and grabbed two long stemmed crystal wine glasses. She loved the reflection the glasses threw from the fire, and how the light danced on the walls.