Chapter 1

Point Of View
- Nikko -

"Qualifications for the position.."

I read scanning the advertisement poster about the available positions. To stand in front of a huge building wasn't something I expected today. It was a luxury hotel.

"Janitor?" I asked myself. "House keeper?"

I gulped realizing the available positions they offered.

"Am I going to clean restrooms? No please no.." I tried to convince myself not to take the opportunity.

But I thought that it was only the opportunity for me to take given that it's far away from my profession.

I was a criminology graduate and here I was.

After fixing my hair I made my way to the entrance of the building and it was fascinating. The interior was dominating as the hotel stood tall.

There's no way I would waste my time not enjoying the view and everything around me!

"Hi good morning, how can I help you?"

Someone at the front desk asked me and I smiled. Wasn't she expecting me to smile? She looked amazed.

"I'm here to apply for that janitor position." I answered and tried to point at the poster.

"Can I have your resume?"

Once I handed my paper she scanned it.

I looked around the hotel while she reviewed my paper.

Everything was good. Employees were all in decent uniforms and all got big smile. They probably had a good environment here.

"I'm sorry but as of now the position you're applying for was put on hold due to some security purposes. But we'll contact you once it's open again, okay?"

I was saddened by that news but I still nodded and thanked her.

Why was I always being ignored or rejected?

I felt helpless again while making my way out of the hotel. I toured my eyes for a moment to see how elegant the place was. I thought I would be working here.

Cruz Grand Hotel was the name of it.

"Not your lucky day Nikko." I told myself and moved on.

It took me few minutes to get home, my small apartment seemed to be very lonely right now. The mood wasn't helping at all.

It's almost lunch so I decided to have one and eating alone was my life these days. My mom was in our province with our relatives, fishing and selling food were our business.

And my dad, he died serving the law.

I decided to go here in Manila to get and make a better living.

Me being emotional at the moment made me almost missed the text I got.

Good day Nikko Manansala, we are inviting you to our office for an interview! We reviewed your resume, it seems that we have a position that will meet your qualifications. You can come and visit us at 6pm tonight. Please reply with your name for confirmation. Thank you!
- Cruz Grand Hotel Recruitment

I put my phone down after reading the text to continue eating but the moment I realized what I just read made me stand up in surprise.

Seriously? Did they just contact me after sending me away?

Nikko Manansala

I rushed and replied my name.

"I'm getting hired, getting hired!" I cheered standing up while carrying my bowl of food. "Nikko, the not so jobless person anymore!"