track 7 : strafford

"GEORGE

"GEORGE."

My mother's instant reply took me off guard. Hearing her excited and familiar voice tickled my heart, pulling me into a homesick situation.

Abby agreed to drive off to the drive-thru zoo, so I called shotgun to catch up with the things back home. I was already guilty for not calling them earlier. I didn't want my mother to think I didn't care enough. It was just that I was distracted—and my gaze automatically slid to the girl in the driver's seat. "Hi mom," I replied, leaning toward the window next. "What's up?"

"We are fine, son," she said. "We just miss you. I was worried when you didn't pick up your phone. I know you're not loyal when it comes to technology, but you're miles away—just remember to call me once in a while, alright?"

"Yeah, right, I'm sorry," I replied, feeling guilty for not checking my phone more often. "I missed you guys, too." I heard Abby coo next to me and shot her a half-angry look. That only made her chuckle and she stuck her tongue out. I was embarrassed that my cool boy image was damaged but I never felt so around Abby, anyway.

Ignoring her amused look, I focused back on my conversation. "Where are you?"

"Missouri, heading to a drive-thru zoo. Abby suggested—well, she made a where-to-visit list."

"How sweet of her." The mention of Abby cheered her up and I guessed it was because my mother was very fond of her. She sometimes even hinted that I should ask her out, and I sort of believed her behavior pushed me toward Abby or made me realize my affection for her. "You're paying for everything, right, George?"

I peeked at Abby from the corner of my eye and answered, "No."

"What? George, you can't make a girl pay when a gentleman is around!"

I wanted to say 'We are friends' but was also afraid of catching Abby's attention because that would end up with an interrogation. "Hmm," was the answer after all.

"I'm serious, George. Do you need money?"

"I'm fine."

Then, she skipped this awkward conversation—thank God—and told me about a divorced couple living a couple of blocks away. I told her that I hadn't met them before and I wasn't interested but she was probably dying to tell someone, and my dad was never up for such things, so she spilled the beans on me.

"Where's Dad?"

"What do you think?" She replied dully. "Working." I was about to say that he was having a busy time at work, and she added, "I just hate being alone. He's not home and neither are you."

"Invite Susan over, huh? She's good at gossip."

"I never gossip, George."

"Yeah, right, I meant some quality conversation," I joked. She probably sensed the sarcasm but was busy mulling over my suggestion. It was a tempting one. Susan was her best friend and she was living really close but Mom was feeling down lately. She was not in the mood for anything. I thought her relationship with Dad sort of affected her, but I didn't want to listen to their problems. I hated playing the therapist between my parents.