track 31 : dark clouds

I RETURNED HOME AT DAWN BY THE DOOR

There was a bothersome feeling in my chest, growing as time went on. It was probably the inevitable anticipation of Abby's departure, and how our relationship would pan out. It was still a fat question mark laying between us and I could see that none of us was willing to start the fire. I could feel that it was going to burn.

I slowly passed to our lawn, walking up to the porch. The street was lit with the first rays of dawn, and the only sound that accompanied me was the blowing wind. I slowly unlocked the door and tiptoed into the house. Firstly, I listened carefully to make sure my parents were asleep. Pushing the door close, I removed my jacket and hung it on the coat hanger.

As I was about to walk upstairs, a whisper interrupted me and made me almost shit in my pants. "George." I turned around in a panic to find my mother standing by the kitchen door with folded arms.

"Mom, why do you pop out like that?" I said, trying to steady my breathing. She seriously popped out of nowhere. I walked closer to see her clearly because I couldn't make out her expression in the dark.

As we entered the kitchen, she turned the lights on and said, "I woke up to drink water." I was anticipating for her next question because I was out at this ungodly hour and she just caught me—well, this wasn't even in the description of my curfew. Would she ground me? Fuck, she couldn't do that for this following week. "How did your night go?" She asked instead, stopping the choir in my head with her casual, carefree question. Did she know?

"You knew I snuck out?" She shrugged her shoulder with a look. "You're not mad," I continued. "Like you're totally okay that I spent the night at Abby's?"

"Well, I wish you told us—it wasn't pleasant to see your bed empty. But we thought we could tolerate this for a couple of days because I can imagine how hard it is for you at the moment." Her understanding took me off guard. This was beyond my imagination. Yes, she was always a good mother, but I didn't think she would let me walk away with this. "We will discuss this after Abby leaves." Now, this was the mother I knew.

I squeezed her hand over the table. "Thanks, Mom."

"Did you discuss what you will do when she's away?" I shook my head no. "Are you dating right now?"

"We didn't settle anything like we are just loving each other and that's it."

Her expression contorted into a pout. "What do you want to do?"

"I think we can maintain a long-distance relationship, you know." I wasn't sure about Abby, but I thought we could do it. We had been best friends for a long time and we knew each other very well. "We would Facetime every day and visit each other on holidays. I don't think it's too hard."

Though she nodded softly, I could see that she wasn't that sure about it. "What does she think?"

"I didn't ask her yet. We just started, and I don't want to pester her about the future. She has a bright one ahead and she loves me." I took a deep breath and couldn't help the worry and hopelessness fill my lungs along with air. "She wouldn't leave me, right, Mom?"