track 15 : stay

WE CRAWLED OUR WAY BACK TO OUR ROOM WITH ROY

Since I looked more stable, I let him hold onto me and carried him upstairs with difficulty. I hadn't remembered a day that lasted forever but this could be it. I didn't even remember half of the things I'd been through.

After he threw himself on the bed and dozed off, I stayed up a bit more, smoking another cig by the window and gazing out in the sky. My head was dizzy, but the fog in my mind was clearing out.

I'd had enough of everything. Things worked in my favor but I managed to screw them up. Rachel was out of the way, and Abby dumped Roy but I managed to dare hurt her. There had to be always a complication to prevent me from confessing—if no complications, I did the job myself. Maybe I should have stopped blaming fate for screwing things up and take responsibility. I was doing wonders without the help of fate, anyway.

I broke Abby's heart. I literally took her heart in my palm and smashed it. I gave into that green-eyed evil inside me. I couldn't stand seeing her with Roy and for being the coward dick I was, I took my anger on her first. I didn't deserve her at all.

Her heartbroken face haunted me all night, and it just stung more after I'd learned I misunderstood everything. She broke up with him. I had to apologize to her—now.

I unlocked my phone and opened Messages. She should have slept by now and she was probably pretty mad at me but maybe a sweet message would make up for what I'd done in the morning. It would be a good start at least.

I started drafting up a message. I'm sorry. This wasn't sweet at all. To the most beautiful girl I know, good morning. This was out of line. Good morning. Can you forgive me, please? With a cherry on top? Would this even work?

With a resigned sigh, I locked my phone. I wasn't good with words—it wasn't going to work out this way. I had to see her, look into her eyes, and say that I was sorry. She would get that, right? She always understood me.

When my phone's screen lit up next, I was pretty shaken up to see Abby's name. I thought I sent her one of the messages I'd drafted and quickly opened her message. It was a long-ass one and I didn't even send a message, to begin with.

George.

I don't know where to start.

I thought today would be different. Ever since I invited Roy, something was eating me inside and I finally decided to act on it and tell him about my real feelings. Or lack thereof. For the first time in my life, I chose not to be a chicken and I'm actually quite proud of it. He didn't take it well. I understand him.

Yikes. This isn't what I'm texting you about. When I thought I'd got everything sorted out, this night happened. I still can't process what you have done but I hate you so much, George Shaw. Not for calling on me, because you were right about what you've said, but you ruined everything for us.