track 22 : flagstaff

In Chambers, we visited the Hubbell Trading Post, where she was gushing over, and it was indeed outstanding among all the monuments we'd been to

In Chambers, we visited the Hubbell Trading Post, where she was gushing over, and it was indeed outstanding among all the monuments we'd been to. It was just so Route 66, and you could feel yourself immediately in those times. We wandered about the city, entering the old houses, and taking lovely pictures before the doors. The walls of the houses were of stones, which made them look ancient and sophisticated in a way.

Inside, the decoration was colorful with a variety of frames on the walls and Najavo rugs everywhere. There was also a small bookshelf on the corner with lots of books that I didn't bother to check the content of. The aura of the place immediately lifted my spirits, and the smile formed on Abby's lips, it had the same effect on her.

"Rugs are so beautiful," she commented, gingerly brushing her hand against one of them. "So colorful, aren't they?"

"Yeah."

We bought some snacks and a bottle of cheap white wine before we hopped back to the car. A few miles later, the hills called Painted Desert emerged in the view. They were wonderful with their color scheme—from white to red, they contained lots of colors horizontally. We decided to stop at a place where we could gaze at the scenery and take the stuff we purchased earlier, making ourselves comfortable on the bonnet.

As I filled wine to the spare solo cups, she tore the package of Ruffles and stuffed her mouth. "Chips and wine, a weird combination." I handed her the cup and grabbed a bar of chocolate instead. We weren't having the healthiest lunch but as long as it stuffed my stomach, I didn't really mind.

"It looks like a rainbow desert, doesn't it?" I nodded, taking a sip from my cup. "I think it's clay that makes it alter. And maybe some natural disasters." I watched her from the tail of my eye to see that she was truly contemplating what may have caused this alternating structure.

"No expert at that stuff, you know."

"Me neither," she said, smiling at me. "But it's fun to consider." She suddenly grabbed my chocolate and took a bite. "It tastes exotic after too much salt." Then, she gave it back to me. "I should start on a healthy diet when we get back."

"You look fit," I said reassuringly. "Don't worry about it." As she took a sip from the cup, I added, "Will you be okay to drive? I can manage the rest if you like."

"A cup of wine won't make me dizzy," she replied, throwing me a look. I just shrugged my shoulders. She wasn't that lightheaded but sometimes she got drunk too soon. "I'm fine," she repeated, seeing the doubtful expression on my face. "If I feel funny, I'll let you drive."

After taking a few pictures of that wonderful landscape, we set off to Winslow. When the sign appeared, it reminded me of the Eagles song. "Well, I'm standing on a corner," I hummed, "in Winslow, Arizona, and such a fine sight to see."