T W E N T Y - T H R E E | Adeline

Screaming.

She was screaming.

My heart jolted in my chest when those screams first ripped into the air and I felt the misery seize up in my chest. Oh, God. It was happening again. I sprinted into the living room, following the screams all through our once peaceful home. Rounding the bend, I laid eyes on her. She had collapsed, her body convulsing violently on our newly carpeted floor, her eyes rolled to the back of her head. I sucked in a gasp, staggering backwards.

"Liz, I need you to calm down, sweetheart."

Dad kneeled over her, his fingertips gently brushing her cheeks.

"Make them stop, make them stop!" She cried.

"They're not real, remember they're not real," Dad begged her. "Addie! Get over here, hold her down."

I stumbled over and grabbed her left arm, pushing it down with all my might.

"Hold her, hold her!"

"I am holding her, Dad!"

"Please, Ed. They're so loud."

"It's okay, sweetheart. I'm right here. Hold on tight."

Tears spilled down his cheeks, the desperation burning in his eyes. He let his head fall back, murmuring a prayer, and in that moment of faith and weakness, my mother sensed an opening. She shot up out of our grip, launching herself at the kitchen bench. Then there was a blade, her long, graceful fingers wrapped tight around the handle, knuckles white.

"Get away from me!" She yelled.

"Mum?"

Billy's fourteen-year-old voice echoed from the doorway.

"Go Billy," I said, looking into his bloodshot eyes. "Everything will be fine."

"Liz, please, just put the knife down." Dad begged.

"They won't stop screaming," she wept, touching her temple softly. "They keep telling me to do things."

"I know, honey. I know."

"Mum, please," I said to her, taking a step closer.

She pointed the knife at me, her wild hair in disarray and her eyes full of fear.

"Step back, Adeline."

"No," I said. "You won't hurt me. I know you won't."

"I can't control them, Addie! They control me! And they want to hurt you."

"But you don't. Take control, Mum. Don't let them hurt me. Just give me the knife."

I believed in her then, believed in the strength that had once resided in her. No matter how bad she got, I always thought she would defeat this thing inside her – this sickness. She only needed a push. I took another step forward, with only one more to go before she was at arm's length. Tears streamed down my mother's face, smearing her mascara.

"Listen to her, Liz." Ed said, taking another step forward.

I glanced at him as he spoke, then Billy's young voice let out a piercing scream.

"ADDIE!"

He pointed at Mum and my head jerked in her direction. She held the knife above her head, her eyes filled with her sickness, and I felt so small under her – so powerless, so helpless. Then, with one mighty swoop, she brought down the blade.