T H I R T Y - F I V E | Adeline

I peered through the door, looked both ways down the hall.

"Adeline?"

Frank's eyes opened into slits, staring at me from the hospital bed. I slunk into the room with my fingers clutching the IV stand, closing the door quickly and quietly.

"Frank. Are you alright?"

A stupid question, I realised, looking at the bandages wrapped around his muscular body. Frank smiled.

"Alive. That's all I need."

My gaze left his smile, went to his wounds. Despite the bandages and the restraints and the mangled, burnt mess on the left of his face and neck, Frank still looked like he was capable of serious damage, as if he might spring up from his bed at any moment and start shooting.

"Chin up, Adeline," he grinned. "They're only wounds."

"They look..."

"They'll heal. Doctors say I'll have a mess of scars, but I don't mind. They make me look scarier."

I managed a smile, met his eyes.

"Good for business, then."

He laughed a good, rich, laugh – much too hard for the petty joke.

"Yes, I suppose it is," he agreed.

Quietly, he met my eyes with a sudden sincerity, one that I hadn't expected.

"Thank you," he said, voice serious. "Honestly, thank you. For all you've done. You could've quite easily let me burn. You could've quite easily called Jimmy a lunatic and let me be hanged, as well. But you didn't. So listen. I owe you. Anything you could ever need, I'm here. And it's quite an advantage to have somebody like me on your side."

My small smile grew into a broad grin, and I offered a nod.

"You're very welcome, but really, all I want is for you to get better." I paused, thought for a long moment. "And maybe tell me where Seth Barlow is."

"Ah, yes, about that. Twenty-One Oak Street. Brosna. You should find Seth Barlow there, or at least find someone who might know something about where he could be."

My smile grew, head tilted.

"Do I even want to know how you got that information?"

A glint of amusement sparkled in Frank's eyes.

"Probably not."

"Well, I'll pretend that you bought him a coffee and asked nicely."

"Whatever gets you to sleep at night."

"Thank you."

"Always."

Just as the word passed his lips, the hospital room door swung open. Smiling, I turned my head to see who had just entered, before my grin vanished completely.

"Adeline," my father said sternly. He spoke to me, but his eyes never left Frank's marred, smiling face. "You should be resting."

"Dad, I – "

"Nothing to fear, Officer Wilson," Frank chirped. "I was merely thanking your lovely daughter for saving my life."

My father's mouth twitched.

"Adeline," Dad said, turning to me. "You should head to the hospital. Billy's awake."

My face dropped, expression and colour draining from my cheeks.

"Is he alright?"

"He's fine. Just asking about you."

I blinked, got to my feet, looked at Frank.

"Never mind an old boar like me," he said. "Go see your brother."

I smiled.

"Bye, Frank."

He waved shortly, a near-salute.

"Tell William I send my regards."

I nodded, turned to face my father, whose eyes were once again locked on the elephant in the room.

"Are you coming?"

Dad broke his stare and offered me a stiff smile.

"Of course. I'll be there soon. Just have to finish up some work stuff and then I'll meet you."

The look in my father's eyes rivalled the danger I sensed when looking into Frank's. A dark, sinister glare twinkled in them, as if every murderous, sadistic thought were simultaneously unravelling in his head. I glanced back at Frank, suddenly afraid to leave them alone. He looked from my father to me, his lips in a small, sad smile.

"Go, Adeline. I'll see you soon."

Slowly, hesitantly, I left without another word.

© A.G. Travers 2018