T H I R T Y | Adeline

I stared at Billy's white bandages, wrapped tightly around his shoulder.

"He'll be fine, Ad." Dad told me, rubbing my back in some pitiful attempt at comfort.

I said nothing, keeping my eyes on those tight bandages. I studied his face. Lips slightly parted, eyes still and closed, his smooth cheeks and messy dark hair in disarray. I lowered my eyes, the guilt eating away at me.

"When will he wake up?" I asked, turning my eyes up to my father.

"Hard to say. Soon, hopefully."

My chin tilted down, eyes swelling.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered. "I didn't mean for this to happen."

Dad placed his strong hand on my shoulder, leaned down to kiss my hair before taking the seat beside me.

"I know, Addie. We're both scared. But I need to know – what were you doing in the middle of a meth lab?"

My shoulders tensed as I sunk into the chair, head down, arms crossed. I knew that as soon as he found out the truth, he'd have Tony fired and Frank transferred to another prison, and if that happened, we'd never get anywhere. Billy would've been shot for nothing.

"I can't tell you," I whispered. "I'm sorry."

"Addie," he said. "You won't be in any trouble. I just need to know."

"I can't..." I sniffled, wiped my nose. "A lot of good people would be hurt if I told you."

"What people? Addie, please, I don't understand."

"That's good. It's good you don't understand. It's best for everyone if you don't."

"Addie, your brother was shot. You were in the middle of a meth lab. You can't just keep me in the dark on this."

"Dad, please."

"You are my children! I know you can't possibly understand what that means, but if something has happened, if someone is after you, then just tell me. I can help you."

I shook my head, rubbed my tired eyes. Dad paused, waited, saw that I wasn't going to say anything. With a roar, Dad jumped from his seat, raked his hands through his thin hair.

"Fine. Fine!" He leered over me, pointed his finger at my chest. "But if something happens, it's on you, Addie. It's all on you."

I bit my lip, winced as he slammed the door behind him. Then I turned my eyes to my brother, the guilt shining within them. I sucked in a shaky breath.

"I'm sorry, Billy. I'm so damn sorry."

© A.G. Travers 2018