Friend

Brad went to his hotel, which is near Gavin's when he dropped us off. "I'm sorry, you were probably having a good weekend with him. If I would have known, I would have called a taxi."

She shook her head and led me to the couch. "Don't worry about that, I want to know what he did to you."

I told her about Claudia, but she seemed more interested in the intimate details.

"I can't believe my little Kori went that far with a boy." She giggled

"A boy?" I looked at her like she's crazy.

"Okay, a man, but I do have something to say, and I want you to think about what I say. He's had a friendship with her longer than you have with Kellen. Kellen took it too far, and you still forgave him and now you're back to being buddies. It's not the exact same, but don't you think he deserves to make things right?"

"I never slept with Kellen, these two have a history." I replied.

"You don't think he's trying to be good to her in her time of need? Could you kick Kellen to the curb if he really needed a friend? Guys aren't like us, sweetie. He can sleep with a woman and not have feelings. Look at Kellen and me, neither of us wants more than what we shared. That's over now, and neither of us is hurt, but if he needed me as a friend, I would be there for him. Can you imagine how scared she is when you think about the kind of family she probably has and the shame she has to face?"

I shrugged my shoulders. Why does she always make sense?

"Fine, I'll think about it, but you need to tell me about Brad."

She blushed! "Stella, you're blushing!"

She hid her face and laughed. She threw her hands up. "I like him, Kori. I really do!"

"Okay, I'm guessing it got serious?"

She stomped her feet and laughed. "He was amazing! Oh my God, Kori. I'm ruined for other men. He's so awesome!"

"He lives in New York. What are you going to do when he leaves?"

She shrugs. "I don't want to think about it yet."

My phone had been vibrating like crazy in my purse, but I just ignore it. Stella is my priority at the moment.

Stella had an early day tomorrow, so she cut the night short and I decided to take a hot bath with a bottle of wine. I pinned my hair up and pulled out a book, but decided to turn my phone off. The pop-ups from my relentless almost boyfriend's texts won't stop, and I need quiet time to think.

Once the water was hot and bubbly, I sank in with a glass of wine and sat back. It felt good after being so cold earlier and relaxed my muscles.

That was until I heard the handle of the door jiggle, then it slowly opened.

"Kori."

"Are you fucking serious right now?" Gavin appeared and closed the door behind him.

"I can't believe she let you in here!"

"Wow! Such foul language, Miss Heart." He sat down on the edge of the tub.

He leaned on his elbows and rubbed his face. "I'm sorry, Kori."

"For what? I thought you broke things off with that awful woman."

I crossed my arms in front of me feeling way too exposed. Thanks to the bubbles he can't see for the moment, but they will soon fade.

"I did, but we've been friends a long time.." I'm not letting him finish that sentence.

"You're still friends with her after the horrible things she said about that sweet boy? You fired me and I was innocent."

He took a deep breath. "She has been there through everything, Kori. My parent's divorce, my marriage falling apart, and everything."

"She helped your marriage fall apart! I'm not going to sit here and tell you who you can and can't be friends with, but I will not be a part of it, Gavin. I don't want a relationship that involves that woman. There's only room for three of us, not four."

His face softens. "Keegan, you counted Keegan." He ran his fingers through his hair his hair and stood up.

"You're saying she has to go or we're done?"

I sat my head back and closed my eyes. "It's not just you and I to consider, Gavin. She's awful, and she will always come between us like she tried to do with Melissa. Keegan is older now, and if we were to do this, I wouldn't want to get close to him and be forced to walk away every time she does something. She already got me fired. What happens next time? Gavin, she tried to make me believe she was pregnant with your baby and called me a slut."

He put his hands on the counter and leaned against it.

"Oh my God! That was the plan, wasn't it? You tested me this weekend to see if we could go anywhere, and if not, you marry her to save her from the shame? That's why we didn't have sex? You need to go, Gavin."

He turned around and kneeled next to me. "That's not what that was, Kori. It was for you to decide, because I know what I want, and it had nothing to do with Claudia. She has it in her head that I will marry her, but I told her no. I did offer to help financially if her family cut her off, but never agreed to pose as that child's father."

He cupped my face. "If I can't have both of you in my life, I choose you. It will always be you. I can help her from a distance, give her what she needs to sustain herself, but I can't just do nothing to help."

I looked at him, and I can tell he just wants to help his friend. He looked into my eyes like they must have the answer, then kissed me. His damn touch and kisses get me every time.