In Which Jack's Love Of Country Music Causes Strife

***

Deep in the Midwest

Day 4

3:00 PM

***

Jack carefully maneuvered the Jacobsmobile into the parking lot of a small, green-roofed rest stop. He was a more reckless driver than Davey in general, but had started going much more slowly after having a minor accident with a lamp post earlier that day. He parked the van and got out.

"I'll be inside if anyone needs me." He walked away. Crutchie was reaching for the door when Spot grabbed his wrist.

"Hey. I need a favor."

"And what's that?" Crutchie asked, slightly frustrated.

"Well, ya know as well as I do that nobody here actually likes Jack's music except him, but he always plays it anyway. It seems like that should be enough to get him to play somethin' else, but he never does. So I been thinkin', and I've got a plan to change the channel without him seein'. "

Crutchie briefly contemplated Spot's speech. "I'm listening."

"All right, great! I'll need to borrow this." Spot reached across Crutchie's lap.

"Whaddaya want that for?" He gripped the crutch defensively.

"Ya might've noticed that I don't have freakishly long arms, so I need somethin' long and stiff to-"

"That's what she said!" Race gleefully proclaimed from the back seat.

"Aw, you stay outta this!"

"That's not whatcha said last night!"

Les burst out laughing. Davey glared at Spot.

"Do you want to listen to Jack's version of The Talk?" Spot only looked confused.

"I don't know, do I?"

Race fidgeted in his seat. "No, ya don't. He's got no idea how to talk about it. He always has ta make it so awkward."

"Well then, stop it. You're corrupting the child."

Race waved airily. "Les's heard worse. He'll be fine."

"That's not the child I meant."

"You guys know I'm still here, right?" Crutchie muttered.