Chapter 3

The phone rang at six o'clock. Dusk was right on time. Whenever he's away, he always called at six on the dot.

"Hi baby," he said. Dusk had one of those deep baritone voices that made Shilpy melt. Most of the time it had the pleasant tones of Barry White, but on a dime, he could summon the authority and command of an angry Samuel L Jackson. In that moment he sounded tired.

"It sounds like you had a big day. Are you making progress?"

She could almost hear him shake his head.

"As usual Mestor is being difficult."

"He said this would be your last job. What's changed?"

"We finished the job, but now he is talking about some new heirloom he wants me to find."

Shilpy almost swore. Dusk was a consultant for a company in Melbourne. He'd worked for them ever since they met fourteen months ago. Dusk rarely talked about the specifics of his work. Best that she knew his role involved working on some sort of strategy, but he was bound by a non-disclosure agreement, so she was vague on the specifics.

He took the non-disclosure agreement seriously, and she respected that, but there are only so many one-way conversations they could have about work before getting bored. Occasionally he let slip about some interpersonal dramas at work, but they were few and far between.

He flew to Melbourne every week and led separate lives. Shilpy thought when they moved in together two months ago things would improve, but he spent half the week away and was rarely allowed to explain what transpired during that time.

They were both looking forward to this contract finishing so they could spend time together.

"Why can't he find it himself?" she asked waspishly. "You've done enough for these people. The project should be over. Will they pay you extra?"

"It isn't that simple," Dusk said with a sigh. "With luck, this should only take a few more weeks. A month maybe two tops." Shilpy didn't reply and they each sat in awkward silence on the phone. Eventually Dusk changed the subject. "What did you do for lunch?"

Every Thursday they tried to catch up for a meal. Except of course when he was in Melbourne, like today.

"Caught up with Denise and Thomas," she said, not mentioning the near miss with Mme Jessica. She wanted to tell him more, but it would raise too many questions and wasn't the sort of thing to talk about over the phone. "It was fun."

"I hear they're good company."

"Yes, but they aren't you. I want you home."

He sighed. "Me too. I felt especially bad leaving you this time around. I'm sorry."

"Sorry, about what?" she frowned.

"I've been worried about your dreams. I like being there when you wake up."

Ah, so he'd noticed the bad dreams. It was sweet that he worried about them. Worried about her.

"You will be home tomorrow, won't you? Thomas is looking forward to meeting you."

"I'll arrive a little before five. Shilpy, if you have any more bad dreams tonight phone me."

She smiled. "What if it's three o'clock in the morning?"

"Doesn't matter, last night you were shaking all over. I don't like seeing you like that. I don't want you to be alone."

"Dusk –"

"I like to protect what is mine."

"I love you," Shilpy said.

"I know, I love you too," He replied. "I'll see you tomorrow at five. Call me if you have any more nightmares."