Chapter 11

Where was she? The surrounding faint green mist swirled and spun in eddys. She could only see a meter ahead. Unlike other mists, the air wasn't cold. Instead, it felt like steam against the skin, like being inside a sauna, or sweat tent.

The concrete chilled the balls of Shilpy's naked feet. She stumbled forward through the fog with hands outstretched. It felt as though she was walking in circles. If she could locate a wall then at least she could feel her way out of here.

The sound of voices ahead startled her. Relieved, she almost called to them for help but something stopped her. There was no way of telling if the people the voices belonged to were friends – or foe. After pausing to listen, she adjusted her direction and wandered blindly forward. She changed course a few more times, trying to narrow in on the conversation.

"Time, time, time, there is no time," Three voices moaned in unison, and Shilpy stopped. The Moirai! Did they know that she was here? Maybe, maybe not. She took one step backward and turned, before speeding away in the opposite direction. Why couldn't they leave her alone? She'd gone only a few steps before she heard three voices ahead of her.

"Come to us, our servant. Before it is too late."

A small scream escaped Shilpy's lips. But she smothered it with her hands. They had been behind her, how could they be ahead? Shilpy spun and ran in a new direction, lurching through the mist with hands outstretched. She crashed into something causing her to trip. Shilpy climbed back up onto her feet.

Keres Ter Nyx women aren't trained to be weak. Shilpy may no longer be a sister, but she was no pushover either. A few cuts and grazes don't stop her.

She kept running. Bare feet pounded across the cement and pavement. She raced through the mist until her lungs burned.

She ran until the minutes dragged into an hour. She ran until time lost all meaning. She ran because she couldn't afford to stop. Everywhere the mist followed her. There was no way out of it. She stumbled once more, and somebody caught her. Shilpy lay in their arms panting, but then more limbs tangle around her body. Hands seize her arms and wrist. She gawked up at the three women staring down at her.

"Times up," they say in unison.

Shilpy screamed -

#

The ring from Dusk's phone pierced through the haze of sleep. Shilpy groaned. Someone has wrapped a blanket over her. The phone stopped ringing. Although it was tempting to roll over and go back to sleep, she could help but notice Dusk frowning.

She felt a moment of panic. The sword! She'd managed to hide it clumsily inside the cupboard. By itself, it could have stayed hidden for a few days. But there was the box and the wrapping, which was impossible to hide.

For the moment though Dusk seemed intent on the phone. She could hear the frantic babbling from the other side of the balcony.

"Whoa, whoa slow down my friend," Dusk stood and moved into the apartment. He paced back and forth listening intently to the voice at the other end of the line.

"No. Don't do that... I don't... Hond that is not necessary. Hond!"

The conversation continued for several minutes, and as each passed Dusk grew more agitated. Finally, in exasperation, he hung up the phone. He looked like he might catapult it off the balcony and into the street. He spotted that she was awake and joined her. "Hond is flying up. He is going to stay the night."

She groaned. "I don't-"

"Too late. It's done." His voice had an air of finality to it. She didn't like it, but had heard him speak that way before, and knew he wasn't going to accept any further arguments. From his perspective, the conversation was over. She glanced towards the bedroom.