Chapter 10

"Sold!" The auctioneer called, pointing his gavel at Shilpy. "To the pretty Indian lady in the hoody."

She stood to a chorus of murmuring. Somebody patted her on the back, but she took no notice. She shuffled along the aisle towards the exit. The path took Shilpy past her main competitor for the sword, the young man with the bent nose in the blue suit. Before she had even gotten to him he stood blocking her path.

"Excuse me, Miss," he said, his voice icy. Thin lips twisted in a smile of mock politeness.

"Yes?"

"I wonder if I could interest you in a side deal. I represent a wealthy individual who would offer an aggressive price for this item." She smiled at him politely.

"A shame he wasn't here." She moved to pass him, but when he didn't move she stepped over the vacant seat in the next row down. Blue suit grabbed her by the arm.

"Please miss, if you would speak with me we can be very –"

"Please, take your hand off me." Shilpy's voice was cold and hard, and she ensured he couldn't mistake the threat in her voice. Everyone in the auction was staring at them. Blue suit either didn't notice or didn't care. His eyes remained locked on Shilpy's, but after a moment he released her. With his other hand, he gave her a business card.

"Please," he said.

Eager to escape, she pocketed the card in her breast pocket without looking at it. She stepped into the aisle one row down, crossed to the stairs and then strode to the bottom of the theatre where the young game-show starlet waited.

She exchanged a quiet word with the auctioneer, both making significant glances towards Mr. Blue suit. Some sort of instructions were exchanged, and then the Starlet led her away.

Shilpy followed the thick smell of perfume into a side room. The Starlet ushered her to a table, and they went through the formalities of transferring ownership of the Sword of Ponos. With a small smile, Shilpy wrote a cheque for $37,000.

"What happens next?" she asked. The Starlet passed several documents over which Shilpy signed.

"Done. Congratulations."

The Starlet took the sword and placed it into a long mailing box filled with foam and bubble wrap to protect it during transport. She closed the box and handed the package over.

Just like that, the Sword of Ponos was hers.

She spotted the man in the blue suit waiting in the carpark well before he saw her. No prizes for guessing who he was waiting for.

Without missing a beat, Shilpy swung away from the car park and trotted up the road, making sure he saw her. After turning the corner, she glanced backward in time to see him cursing and hurdling over the fence. Once she was out of sight, she sprinted to the end of the building and turn again.

Shilpy circled the block until she was back in the deserted car park. A quick glance indicated she'd lost him for the moment. She paid for parking and dashed back to the car, throwing the sword in the back seat.

It wasn't until she drove through the boom gate that he caught up, leaping in front of the car and slapping his hand on the bonnet. His face twisted in anger.

"Give me the sword, bitch."

Shilpy inched the car forward threateningly.

"I'll call the police, or run you down. Whichever is quicker."

"You're one of them, aren't you?"

Shilpy edged the car forward another meter and a half pushed Mr. ass-hat towards the road. He glanced nervously over his shoulder at the passing traffic.