12: Coming Home

Journey comes home from the hospital a few days later. She can still totally be herself, but her brain is definitely shutting down and she says she's in a lot of pain.

Mateo: Journey is back home

Ryan: yay

George: our survivor :)

Mateo: she's quitting school though because she says there's no point. She can't even text anymore let alone write and type. However, she can...actually never mind.

George: it's nvm Mateo, nvm

George: also what is she doing?

Ryan: yeah I'm kinda curious now

I think back to this morning. Journey's mom asked me to come over and help Journey move back home. I, of course, agreed. Journey's doctor, Doctor Morris, had explained to me that she was perfectly capable of breathing and feeding herself and doing basic human necessities for now, but the tumor has affected her ability to learn and do new things. Moving too much or thinking for her is exhausting. "Because of this," he had continued, "make sure she is only doing what is absolutely necessary." Apparently, in Journey's mind, doing what was absolutely necessary involved running at me when I walked into her bedroom, jumping on me, and kissing me.

"I want to make the most of what I have left," she said. "I love you, Mateo. I need to make sure you know that."

I fall out of my memory stupor and look at my phone. Our group chat has gained 265 unread messages. I don't bother to read any of them and text:

Mateo: let's meet up at Journey's house tomorrow and surprise her

Mateo: *meet me @ Journey's tmr but shhh itsa surprise ;)

George: i am a proud father today :)

Ryan: -_-

Mateo: so that's a yes?

Ryan: yes!

George: yesssssssssss!!!!!

9/27/18

I feel like this book just jumped off of the "this story is going somewhere express" and onto the "this book is heading to shitville express." Sorry, I'm really not pleased with myself rn. 

If anyone has a problem with the way I portrayed this cancer pm me and we can talk it out but PLEASE don't be rude

There's no way the school service is gonna let me post images so I'll do that in the revision.

See you all in a few hours for a contest (that you should totally enter cause it's gonna be fun)!