transplant

you needed a heart and i hesitantly gave you mine.

ask anybody, it never really worked. although the times we spent together were a distraction from reality, we both knew you'd need someone new, and you'd need her too soon.

you saw me and your heart stopped. it started working again and sped back up, but little did you know, it was just rotting.

i knew the inevitable. you'd have to stop taking every moment to think about me, you'd have to stop caring. the immense pressure you were putting on your heart would never allow it to work properly. the increasing beats in unknowing patterns were slowly ruining you.

over time, we got to know each other really well. we spilled some secrets, stayed up late nights with each other, made jokes and talked constantly. somehow, the effect i had on you made you use that damned l word. i think i said it back twice. i knew it would hurt you in the long run if i said it and didn't mean it.

we would ramble off quotes from the office as if we were pam and jim. i left you in the best friend zone, like i was in season one. that's the farthest i ever got with you. you were living your own world in season three, realizing you really did love me, and i just couldn't love you back.

i felt bad for you. time was running out. despite knowing i was in no way a match for you, i gave you my heart. your body didn't want it. it did everything in its power to reject it.

that included ignoring me and being bland in conversations. seemingly wanting nothing to do with me. forgetting. you stopped caring about anything and everything we ever did as friends. you don't ask me about my day anymore, because why would that matter?

i found another boy who needed a heart, you found another girl to give you one.

i gave the boy every last fiber of my heart, i dedicated my time and energy into him. i make sure to talk to him more than i talk to you, because in five minutes he can make me smile more than you'll ever be able to again.

your new heart is my best friend's. and guess what? it's not a match either.