Eight

April 21, 1942

We've got everything together. Agnés has dug the hole in the ground and has given us the go-ahead.

I had to sneak some of Maman's needle and thread away from her basket that she keeps in the sunroom.

I put the items in my satchel, and that's where they are now, waiting for me to take it to Drancy and to Anka.

I'm going to take them over as soon as I'm done writing this.

She needs our help.

April 22, 1942

I've done it.

I told Maman I was going to see Colin, and I rode my bicycle over to the camp.

I hid my bicycle by a bush. There was nobody out by the camp, just a few guards wandering around. It was still a bit cool, so I had to wrap my sweater tighter around my shoulders.

I had to carefully creep around to the back of the camp where we'd first met Anka. I searched for the piece of cloth.

It was beige, the color of Anka's dress, a drab beacon in this horrible place. Anyone else who would've spotted it wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Agnés had done a good job of digging the hole.

I spotted some medicine in there from Marie. She had either dropped it off earlier today or yesterday. I took the the needles and the thread and lightly dropped it in. I'd thrown the items into a small brown bag. It matched the dirt.

I heard some footsteps in the distance, and I quickly got up and ran, my heart pounding loudly in my ears with fear.

However, I still had to go back around and find my bike.

When I got there, no one was in sight.

These guards were doing a terrible job. How did they even get hired? I was glad to be safe, but at the same time, it shouldn't have been that easy.

Then again, maybe it should stay that way.

Anyway, I successfully rescued my bike from the prying hands of the bush I'd carelessly thrown it into and biked over to the hardware store where Colin worked with his father.

He was there, and he grinned widely at me. He put down what he was doing and came over to give me a kiss.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Great! It's going great!" I beamed with a little too much gusto.

He cocked his head. "Are you okay? You seem sort of flustered."

"Fine, just fine." I gave him another blinding smile. "Are you done for the day?"

"I'm getting ready to lock up. Can you stay here for a bit?"

"Sure." I hopped on one of the smooth wooden stools that had been built.

The hardware shop is really a neat place.

For one thing, there is wooden furniture absolutely everywhere. All sorts. Stools, tables, tools, benches.

The place smells like fresh wood, which is a scent I've grown to love. It's warm, comforting.

I enjoy going to the hardware store and helping Colin lock up, and I guess it always helps when I need an alibi.

I really don't want to lie to my parents, but I have to, for Anka's sake.

And besides, it comes so easily. What else am I supposed to do?

April 24, 1942

The first round of things have been delivered. Lisette left a note asking when we should bring more things back. She put a pencil in the hiding place, too, as a second thought.