Chapter 1 - It began with heartbreak.

(A/N: Hi! Thank you for deciding to give this story a read I hope you love the plot and characters. This chapter is an intro to our main character and you will learn about her motivations and her past. Please let me know if you want me to continue this fanfic or if you have any ideas for story/character progression, love you all lots xo, p.s I think the clip I have attached of Zach Hemsey's 'The Way' captures the emotion of this chapter so amazingly so please give it a listen as you read or beforehand to really grab all of the emotion.)

Dead silence.

As I look down the dim, dark streets of small heath I take in a deep breath of the smoke-filled air, clenching my jaw and balling my fists as toxic anger fills my brain. I can't believe I am back, and for the very reason I feared, my brother is dead.

Curtis Warren. Yes, Curtis 'Cocky' Warren. The drug lord, gang kingpin, big brother, and filthy fucking scouse. The thought of him makes my blood boil in my veins and, honestly, I miss him. As terrible as he was, he was my family, the only Warren, other than myself, left. But, nonetheless, he was a bad man, and, now he is dead, his business is my business. I have always understood the 'family business', but I decided not to partake, got married, had a kid, lost a kid, then widowed. The 'family business' took all my family away from me and now I find myself alone, a scenario I always knew was inevitable from the moment Curtis started a war with the Sabini's, five years ago.

I begin the slow trek to our small semi-detached safe house, where some of our boys have taken Curtis, so that I could see him, for the last time. As I walk my legs shake and my feet are unsteady. I blame the uneven gravel but I'm not sure if I believe that excuse. The black, splintered door appeared on my left and I walk towards it, raising my hand towards the wood, letting it hover for a second. I take a deep breath and whisper to myself various reassuring words and my hand makes contact with the hardwood. Footsteps approach and the door swings open, swiftly.

"Moll." A low voice calls my name and I look up into the raw eyes of Frankie, my brothers right-hand-man.

"Frankie. Where is he, where is Curtis?" My voice cracks as his name leaves my lips and Frankie pulls me into an embrace, stroking my hair.

"In the kitchen, he is at peace, Moll." He says, as he takes my hand and leads me through the shadowy rooms towards the kitchen, where my brother is lying on the table, eyes shut and clothes stained in his blood. I hesitate for a minute, taking in the situation in front of me. A single tear forms in my eye, blinking, it falls to my cheek. I take in a shaky breath and slowly approach the table.

"Curt." I look at his face, he looks different, relaxed. I take his blood-stained hand in mine and squeeze it tightly, not wanting to let him go. "You promised me you wouldn't leave me alone, brother." My voice turns to a whisper and I close my eyes as I manage to say, through a quivering breath, "You fucking promised.". I brush his hair from his face and kiss his forehead gently, my tears washing some blood from his temple.

As I sit there, stewing in my thoughts, my sadness turns to anger, then rage.

"I am going to fucking kill that man, Curtis." I look at the faces of the boys stood around me and raise my voice.

"I'm going to kill that fucking scum Sabini." A shocked Frankie approaches me and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Moll, maybe you shouldn't make such rash decisions right now, not in your current st-".

"Look what he has done, took my brother from me, my husband, my child, my fucking innocent child." I scream at him, hitting his chest as he stands there, tears building in my eyes he grips me by my shoulders.

"We don't have the manpower, even if we want to, Sabini's men would easily outnumber us, think of how many others would die, the young lads." He says quietly, not to be overheard by the boys behind him.

"I know who we can ask." I say, wiping the tears from my face. I turn to Frankie as he shakes his head in disapproval.

"Not them Mol, they are not trustworthy, they are fucking gyppos, anyone but those bastards, come on think about it properly." I stand to face him, my hand still gripping Curtis'. My voice strong so everyone can hear me. The room silent, as if all of them were dead, not just my Curtis. I take a deep breath, unaware of the storm that I am about to bring on.

"Where can I find the Peaky Blinders then, boys?"