Chapter 3 - Vendetta.

(A/N: SORRY FOR ALL THE DEPRESSING CHAPTERS BUT ITS SO EARLY ON AND THE CHARACTERS NEED TO LEARN ABOUT HER BACKSTORY I PROMISE IT WILL GET MORE LIGHT ON THE EMOTIONS SOON. Finally, the chapter where she meets Tommy! I hope you enjoy. Enjoy the beautiful gif above <3)

As soon as the first syllable leaves his mouth my heart begins racing, about as fast as his prized horse. Every sound he makes seems to overpower every other sound in the universe and, at that moment, all I can hear is his voice. I turn slowly towards him, plastering on a slight smile.

"Mr Shelby," I say slowly, nodding slightly. "It's been a while."

"Feels like decades have passed 'since you last graced our streets, Miss Warren." He says, my heart stops.

Harry coughs as my name exits his mouth and my uneasy look and shifting feet tip him off that something is wrong. Instinctively, he looks towards my hand and notices the ring lingering on my finger.

"So you got hitched then, eh? Who is the poor lad?"

There is a pause. Silence.

Harry shakes his head at Tommy and his smirk fades quickly.

I stand still. Blinking. Breathing unevenly. 

Tommy clears his throat and gestures for me to follow him, he walks towards a small room in the corner of the pub, he holds the door open for me as a I walk past him.

"Thank you, Mr Shelby," I say thinly through weak breaths.

"Please, we are past those formalities. Tommy."

"Sure, Tommy." I smile faintly as he lights up a cigarette, noticing my sombre expression he offers one to me and I take it.

"So." He says, through the cigarette he has placed in his lips, pausing as he lights it, and mine, and inhales. I do the same.

He takes a second, which felt like an eternity, to pause and exhale. The smoke leaves his mouth and he pulls it through his nose gracefully. I stared at him, taking in the details of his face. It had been years since I saw him last and I could tell that he had gone through a lot since then from the lines that have appeared on his chiselled face.

"I suppose you want to talk about Sabini." He snaps me out of my trance.

"Wait. H-how did you..."

"You think I don't know everything that happens in my streets?" He interrupts and turns to look at me with concerned eyes.

We look at each other for a minute, his eyes burned into my mind. His fucking eyes. He clenches his jaw and gulps, breaking our eye contact to look toward the ground as he says something that makes my heartbreak.

"I'm sorry about Curtis, truly. I wish I could have saved him, Moll. I should have fucking saved him."

My eyes also reach the ground as a tear falls down my cheek.

"No. There was nothing you could have done, Tom. He made the fucking mess and it was he who paid the price." I say, steadying my breathing, wiping the tear from my face and taking a long drag of the cigarette burning in my hand.

His hand touches mine and we stay like that for a while. Silent, together. I didn't want to move in fear that I would lose his touch. He strokes my hand with his finger, a feeling that I would never forget. But his finger nudges my ring, he pulls his hand back suddenly unsure what to do.

We sit in unsteady silence for a moment, but it could have been mistaken for a decade.

"Sabini got him, Tom. My husband. He was a good man, a good, innocent, kind, gentle man. But Sabini found out about my marriage, my new name, then found my address..." My voice cracks as I retell the story, another tear escapes my raw eyes.

I pause for a second and Tommy's hand cups my face. He wipes the tear from my cheek and that feeling gave me the strength I needed to continue.

"He ambushed my house, him and his fucking yobs. I wasn't there to protect them and so he took my husband from me, but as if that wasn't enough..." I close my eyes and try to get the next few words out without screaming, or crying.

Tommy pulls me into a hug as he sees my struggle. I place my head on his shoulder and I can feel his body heat. I say quietly, almost whispering into his neck.

"He killed my daughter."

That sentence alone triggered something in Tommy, his whole demeanour shifted. I could feel his whole body tense as the words escaped my mouth.  He stood up immediately, practically screaming.

"I should have killed that fucking Italian scum years ago." He says sternly. I look up at him.

He is boiling with rage, I have never seen him so angry. His fists are curled up as if he was ready for a fight and his jaw was clenched so tight I thought he would break it. I stand so we can be at eye level again. I place my hand on his arm, his tense muscles relax and I speak to him softly.

"Well, let's do it." His eyes reach mine again. Thank god. I loved his eyes, I still do.

He nods. 

I smile. Genuinely.

"I think it's time for a family meeting." He chuckles, raising his eyebrow slightly, making my sadness melt.

"God, I've missed the Shelby's."

"Aye. And they've missed you."