[four]

Going to the fallen now was a ritual of mine

I only did so because it was an escape. Or at least, that's what I told myself.

It was a way for me to not be inside that tent alone, yet also offered a reason to venture out and still be hidden away from the view of others.

"You should not waste your time here Mikabellum."

Out of all the males, Khalid had become one of my favorite. He surprised me with how much he seemed to already know me. Either that or he was skilled in the art of reading body language and interpreting people.

"I am not wasting my time."

Khalid was sitting up. His wound no longer festered and he told me he had been able to consume food and water.

He says nothing about my comment. Instead, he turns the conversation over to a new direction.

"Do you sleep at night?"

I sigh at his question.

No. I was too scared to close my eyes. Every noise I heard left me waking in a panic. I was a manic now. I could feel a dull pulse in the back of my head. I did not want to look into any reflective surface.

I knew this was not how a goddess should look, but my mind played tricks on me when I was alone.

"I sleep."

Khalid immediately becomes apologetic, "forgive me Mikabellum, I did not mean to say that you look unwell. It is only my concern for you."

I lean back and sigh, "the truth Khalid?"

"Of course."

"I do not like to sleep."I look at him but he is silent, waiting for more information.

"I see...I hear...well I don't like to sleep."

"Do you hear the sounds of the dying? The cries of the warriors? Do you see them falling?"

I don't say anything. No, I didn't.

I saw my Papa's tear-stained face. I saw visions of men, masked and armed cutting down the people of my village. I saw the great leader astride his horse- like the first time I had ever seen him. Only instead of taking me with him, he cut me down in my place.

"I do see death."

It was not entirely a lie.

Khalid shakes his head, "How you suffer Mikabellum."

"It is not that great a pain...." I shrug away his worried gaze. I could see the connection now. The goddess of war having visions of death. That would make sense.

"Would you sleep if I promised to watch over you?"

"No."

Khalid's eyes fall in sadness. I don't have the heart to tell him that his presence would only make me more anxious. I could not trust anyone around me.