[thirteen]

The sound of hooves beating against the ground, horses running desperately and men shouting fill my mind

The sound of hooves beating against the ground, horses running desperately and men shouting fill my mind. The chaos crushes into me as flashes of flames erupt in my vision. There was a hoard surrounding me.

Lies. They screamed lies. 

And blood.

I tasted blood.

I tasted the vile substance that ran down my face. Roark stood before me, his fingers – the only skin from him I had been able to see – dripping in the red that choked me.

They came closer. Closer. I couldn't breathe as the weight of the sins that I had committed pushed like a weight into my soul until-

I inhale sharply.

My vision was blurred from the tears that filled my eyes as I looked around wildly at my surroundings.

The night was calm. The echo of their shouts and the pounding of the animal's feet against the ground still reverberated in my ears. A faint ringing noise left my head rattling in place as the stillness of the world around confused and shocked my senses.

Hands suddenly touch me.

"My lioness. It was just a dream."

I feel the warmth connect to my arms as his hands slowly move up to cup my cheeks. My head is turned, giving my eyes a place to finally focus and land upon.

Black. Black like the vision I had just seen encounters me as he pulls me in.

"Mikabellum."

His whisper fills the silence of the night as he holds me in place.

"It was a dream," he says, his voice soft and gentle. The tone a mother would take to her child.

I stare at him, my eyes wide in the truth that I knew but he didn't.

That had not been a dream. That had not been a false story my mind had woven to create from the horrors of my heart.

It had been real. All of it had been real and had been real events that I had encountered and conquered.

And with that single thought in my mind, I feel the tears that I had been holding back come to me again.

He knew nothing. He knew nothing to call my nightmare a dream.

"What is wrong Mikabellum?" There is faint worry in his voice now. His eyes hold concern as he takes me in. As I fall apart in his arms.

I couldn't. I couldn't fall apart here and now with this male as my witness. Not when he had bent his knee just hours ago. Not when I had given him forgiveness and the reality was it was my soul that was stained. My soul that now was showing the toxic evil that came out when my defenses when down.