[sixteen]

I take in the features upon their faces

Strange.

Strange that they wore no covering. That they were so exposed. Every thought, every emotion- all of it I was able to read. They showed every vulnerability to me as they took me in also.

Fear. Confusion. Awe.

There were looks of disdain. Looks of recognition.

The leader of this group is in front, leading the horse that I am astride. My hands are bound before me. I see Khalid and the two soldiers that press their blades to his back. The tension is obvious to read in his frame as his head rises to take me in also.

I am a single light in this dim night. My dress is a beacon. Any who may happen to see us could mistake the order of the group, they would assume that I am the leader, I am the one who should be protected. I am the treasure, and these men follow and answer to me.

But looks are deceiving. And the rope that burns into my wrists now shows the truth that a second glance should always be spared.

My back is straight, my head is high. The male with skin like the night turns to look at me.

"You were the last thing I thought I would find when checking the area."

I say nothing as he narrows his eyes. The expression on his face is so open. So exposed. I look at him, taking in the way his lips become thinner, how his brows dip down. So much. So much emotion could be read in just those simple gestures.

"I know who you are. I saw you in battle. The leader held you in his arms. But I wonder how it is that you are here in front of me now, breathing."

My silence only causes him more irritation. I see from the corner of my eye, the agitation that is growing in Khalid. I feel sorrow that he has become trapped with me.

I do not want to ask anything from this male. The peace I had felt is shattered.

It seemed I was always clawing my way to be one step ahead of death. But it was never satisfied. Always hungery. My soul wanted to be saved, but so many wished to possess it.

The outcome was obvious now. They had me astride the steed. Leading me to where that endless darkness rested.

Panic is in my chest at the thought of how close the end is to me.

Even though I have felt that void before. Even though red eyes are on the other side. Even though I have had life breathed back into me from something that should not exist.

I still feel fear.

The males continue forward. Into the darkness we traversed.

None called out to me here.

I look at the bleak land that surrounded us.

My name was forgotten in this place.