[eleven]

I sit in the tent

I sit in the tent. 

They bring me food, they bring me water- their gaze never focused on me. But I stare at them, looking at them, accusing them with my eyes.

Promising silently, that punishment would fall.

Strange that power intoxicated someone so much.

Even when you had none.

Only a title to wear.

They told me I was a goddess, but those were only words.

What had been my actions to prove that? What had been my movements to make it so?

I hear them outside- my guard unit who had pledged themselves to me. I hear the females. Some males.

I hear them asking for me.

I feel a smile come to my face when Hirog, Jesper or Nash enter the tent.

They had not expected the Great Leader to be gone for so long.

Their orders were starting to stretch over a week, and the problem of my confinement was becoming known to the rest of the tribe.

They wanted me.

Thought they needed me.

Hirog and Nash seemed abash- as if they wished desperately that they could take back their actions and retract their words.

But Jesper.

Jesper was a demon in human skin.

A monster that Roark had somehow managed to train and make loyal to him.

Monsters did not like to be confronted with fear and the presence of something scarier than themselves. Monsters wanted to claim that title for their own.

One day, as I looked at him, he struck at me- suddenly and swiftly.

I tasted blood within my mouth as my lip split open.

"Those eyes..." It was the only thing Jesper had whispered to me before he left.

And now, almost two weeks in, the tribe was done.

They wanted me.

Now.

I heard them screaming for my name. Shouting for my presence.

You do not lock something holy in the darkness. Something that saves should not be confined into shadows.

Give her to us, give her to us.

I swayed to their calling. I listened to the lies that had been spoken as Nash and Hirog conjured up an illness that I did not have.

I could have shouted. I could have exposed them and I know they feared it.