Chapter 6

We found Filbrick Pines in the pawn shop, polishing the jewellery in a display case. "Mr Pines?" I said cautiously, keeping my movements slow and measured. He turned to us, the reflection on his glasses completely hiding his eyes and by extension, his true emotions from us. "We, uh, found something on the beach earlier and we'd like you to check it out." Ford held it out to him, and Mr Pines pulled a jeweller's eyepiece from the draw in front of him, examining it.

"I'll get a professional in tomorrow morning, but for now, which one of you found this?" "

I did, Sir." I stammered. He placed it on a scale.

"Well, if I'm right, you've got 34 grams of what looks like... 9? Carat gold, possibly. This would fetch a little over $500. I'm impressed." My jaw went slack, not just because of the money but because Filbrick Pines was never impressed, not by anyone.

"How much if I sold it to you, Sir?" He rubbed his chin. "I'd take it off your hands for $450." This was the dream; think of all the books I could buy!

"You'll take it?" He nodded.

"You taking that payment in cash or card?" I didn't have a credit card at the time.

"Cash, if you would Mr Pines?" He handed over my money and I had to stop myself from throwing it around and making it rain. I thanked him and we ran back upstairs. I put the money carefully in my bag and sat on my bed. "Holy shit..." I whispered. "I'm rich..."

I looked up at the twins. "I'm rich!" I yelled, getting up and pulling them both into a hug. I pulled back from them, excitement dancing in my eyes. "Think of all the stuff we could buy! We can afford everything you've ever wanted for the Stan O War! Or we could take a trip down the coast or think of all the books I could buy!" They looked as excited as I did, their smiles threating to stretch past their ears and onward to infinity.

After we all began to fully breathe again, I tucked the purse of money into a little nook in the wall that we'd found a few years back. I turned to them. "I'll keep the money here since I practically live here anyways. And you know how shady my side of town is... I'm not gonna risk every thug in the place trying to rob us again." I muttered the last part, anger swelling in my heart. "This should hold us over till I can get a job. I think the taffy shop is hiring..." I turned back to the twins. "One day, we're all gonna book it out of this dumb town. Land or sea, we'll find a way!" They smiled at me, nodding enthusiastically as I walked over to the wardrobe, grabbing my stuff from the shelf labelled "Y/n". "I'm gonna go change." I said to the boys before leaving the room.

I came back from the room in flannelette pjs, hair brushed and ready for bed. I placed my stuff back in the closet and shut the door, flopping onto my bed. This thing stayed pumped up pretty much all year round, since I slept over so often.

My eyes grew heavy but before I could fall into a deep sleep, Stan spoke up. "You guys wanna play truth or dare?" I sat up. "

As long as I can have a coffee first, then I'm in." I looked up to the half-asleep boy on his bunk. "You in Fordsie?" Ford gave us a thumbs up and we all went downstairs, making ourselves a coffee each. I took a sip and espresso jolted through my veins, any sign that I was remotely tired disappeared in an instant (apart from the big ass bags under my eyes but...).

I shot back up the stairs and collapsed on the rug in the middle of the room, trying not to spill my dirty bean water (it was in a takeaway mug for a reason: so, I could have a lid). Ford came in first.

"Are you alright, Y/n?" I nodded and sat up.

"I'm fricken zazzed right now, s'all." He gave a knowing nod as Stan walked in, sitting across from me.

I sat up, clutching my coffee cup with shaking hands as Stan asked, "Y/n, truth or dare?" I thought for a moment, weighing up the consequences of each choice before replying through a yawn.

"Truth." I could practically see his mind ticking as Ford moved to lean against the post of the bunk bed behind him.

"Have you ever done anything illegal?"

"I mean apart from the first-degree murder I committed last week..." Ford went deathly still before easing into a chuckle as I laughed. "Nah, I've taken a swig from Mum's vodka bottle when I was 10 and that's about it. What are you gonna do, arrest me?" Stan chuckled, shaking his head, and drinking his coffee.

I turned to Ford, "Alright Fordsie, truth or dare?" He pondered on it before saying,

"Truth." And like a 14-year-old at a party, I asked,

"Do you like anyone?" I started giggling like one too. Ford mumbled something under his breath that set Stan smirking.

"What?" He looked up at me.

"Not currently, no." Bullshit, but I didn't want to press him on it.

"Stan, truth or dare?" He asked turning to his brother.

"I ain't no woos, dare."

"Alright then... I dare you to go get a bottle of wine from the cellar, WITHOUT waking ma and pa." Stan looked contemplative for a second, before his face split into a wild grin and he got up, disappearing down the stairwell.

"Nice one, Fordsie." I said, softly punching his arm. He seemed to startle slightly when I did this, looking up at me. My face sunk into a worried frown. "Hey... Everything alright Fordsie?" He nodded, taking a deep breath and sighing.

"It's just... there's this girl." My face split into surprise as my heart began to crack. "She's smart, she's pretty, she's kind... and I don't think she'd ever like me back." He looked away from me, his eyes becoming cast in shadows.

I grabbed onto his hands and asked him to look at me. He did, his eyes shining with unspoken pain. I placed a hand on the side of his face, and I swear he leaned into it. I blushed but forced it down and my voice not to wobble. "Fordsie. If this girl doesn't like you, she's crazy. You're the smartest and kindest guy I know. Not to mention, you're unique. Look, just know that if she doesn't like you... Just know that I do."

I got up, kissing his cheek, and sprinting out of the room, pushing past a confused Stan, and locking myself in the bathroom. I sat in the bathtub and let tears roll freely down my cheeks. Of course, he liked someone.

He's had a smile that could light up this dumb town, and the rest of the earth for a hundred years. And if I kept that smile in my life, I'd persevere. I'd be satisfied.

God, I wished I were satisfied.