Chapter 24

"Do you really have to go? There's still so much we haven't done together." Candy asked. Mabel smiled sorrowfully.

"Summer's over, Candy. It's time for us to grow up." Dipper elbowed his twin gently.

"But not too much." Grenda groaned.

"Aaah! I hate my dumb heart for making me feel things." She punched herself in the heart. "Cut. It. Out. Heart!" Soos tapped her shoulder.

"Hey, can you punch my heart, too?"

"No, mine! Punch my feelings away." Candy begged.

Mabel pulled them both into a hug. "Candy and Grenda, thank you for being my people. You'll always be my best friends." She turned to Stan, smiling. "Grunkle Stan, thanks for wearing my goodbye sweater." Stan looked away, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Ah, it's cold out. I had to." Soos was visibly confused by this statement.

"What? But it's like eighty-something degrees out today."

"Can it, Soos!" The Stan twins shouted in perfect unity. I felt a breathy laugh leave my lips as everyone else giggled around me. Wendy kneeled down next to Dipper.

"Hey, you mean a lot to me, man." Dipper smiled softly, fist bumping her.

"You, too." I knelt next to Mabel in the dirt, ruffling her hair.

"I'm gonna miss you, darling." I hugged her before pulling a lipstick from my pocket and handing it to her.

"Grauntie Y/n, are you giving this to me?" I smiled earnestly, nodding.

"You always beg me to use this colour, so I bought you one to take home with you. It's not much, but-" Mabel cut me off, pulling me into a hug.

"It's perfect, Grauntie Y/n. I love it. And I'm gonna miss you too." She let go I stepped over to Dipper, handing him a notebook and a 12 pack of pens.

"It's not much, but it'll give you something to do on the way home, until you can start your own journal. You can play tac-tac-toe or something with your sister on the way." He smiled genuinely, I gave him a quick hug and he took the small gift.

The bus pulled up in front of us, the doors opening. "Last bus leaving Gravity Falls. All aboard."

"Guess we've said goodbye to everyone except...Waddles. I...I don't know how to explain this but..." She sighed. "Mom and Dad won't let me bring a pig home to California so... you have to stay here!" Her heart was clearly breaking as she tried not to cry. Waddles tugged on her skirt as she tried to walk away, forcing her to tears. "Come on. Come on. I have to go. I'm...I'm sorry, Waddles." She cried. Stan snapped into action at this sight.

"Agh! You know what? Forget it! I lived with this pig all summer, now your parents are gonna have to." He picked up Waddles, placing him carefully in the bus. "Hey, bus guy! This pig is comin' with the kids."

"Now, hold on a second. Bringing animals aboard a moving vehicle is strictly prohibited by--" The driver went to object but was cut off by silent, threatening looks from Stan and Ford, with brass knuckles and a gun, respectively. "Wah...w-w-welcome aboard. You can sit in the front row, pig." He looked over his glasses at them.

Stan spoke up, kneeling down to the kids with tears in his eyes and arms wide. "Kids, you knuckleheads were nothin' but a nuisance and I'm glad to be rid of ya." Mabel sniffed and they ran into his arms for one last hug.

"We'll miss you too, Grunkle Stan." She smiled, stoking the tassel on his fez. They broke away from each other after a few minutes, the kids collecting their bags and walking towards the bus. Dipper turned to his twin.

"Ready to head into the unknown?" She laughed slightly.

"Nope. Let's do it." They climbed aboard the bus and it pulled away from the stop as they waved.

We all ran for a moment shouting our goodbyes and didn't move from the bus stop until the bus had disappeared over the hill into the golden sunset.