Chapter 7

I raked a nervous hand through my hair as the emotions shot through me and I laughed slightly. "Ford?" He stopped writing and placed the journal back in his trench coat, nodding. He adjusted his glasses as he began to speak.

Stan wandered back into the room, dropping the wine on a beanbag before dropping down next to me. "What's up with Y/n?" he asked, concern laced into his voice.

"I... I think she just confessed to me..." I whispered, shocked. Stan shook his head in disbelief.

"Okay, tell me what happened, Sixer. Word for word." I walked him through our entire conversation and at the end he let out a breathy laugh. "

Ok then, you gotta go find her. She's in the bathroom." I nodded and headed for the door but turned back to Stan,

"Thank you, Stanley." He nodded.

"Anytime, Sixer."

I strode down the hall toward the bathroom, my pace quickening with every step. I stopped in front of the door, knocking quietly. I could hear muffled sobs that echoed through the bathroom. "Y/n?" I called. I was met with silence. I announced that I was coming in and pulled a coin from my pocket, unlocking the door. I looked around the room to see the shower curtain drawn and the lights out. I flicked on the light and pulled back the shower curtain to reveal Y/n, lying in the bathtub.

Her eyes were closed tight, like she was trying to vanish from sight, like nothing remained. Her hands were clapped tight over her mouth, her throat had red marks around it, like she had tried to strangle herself. Tears were trailing down her flushed cheeks as I reached down to touch her shoulder.

When my hand made contact her eyes shot open and she jumped away from me, wiping frantically at her eyes, and plastering a smile to her face. "Hey Fordsie! How ya doing?" Her voice shook with every word, the enthusiasm she tried to force into her voice seemed to physically hurt her. I didn't know what to do, or what to say. I walked up and pulled her close to my chest.

Her façade shattered and sobs ripped from her throat as she clutched at my shirt. My heart was pounding, I simply held her close. When she calmed down and pulled away from me, I stopped her as she began to walk away. "Y/n, wait." She turned back to me; eyes turned to the floor. "I like you too." She stopped. Tears began to fill her eyes again as she pulled me into a kiss. My eyes fluttered closed as I leaned in.

When we split apart, her eyes had stars in them. I took her hand in mine and we walked back to where Stan was sitting playing video games. "Ew, gross!" he said, his joking smile lighting up the room.

"It's getting late, we should probably get some sleep guys." Y/n spoke up, yawning. I nodded, kissing her cheek.

"Good night Y/n, good night Stanley." I climbed up to my bunk as Y/n flopped onto her air mattress and Stan mumbled a "Night" before rolling over and beginning to snore. My eyes shut, a huge smile on my face and blush spread across my cheeks. "She likes me." I whispered, before falling into unconsciousness.

I smiled to myself. I remember that night clear as anything. How I felt when the caffeine high dropped. When my feelings were recognised, and my heart hit the ceiling. Stan started up again, his grin, never changed from years I'd known him, fading into a slight grimace.

Sure, I got in more than my fair share of trouble but when your brother's the smartest kid in school, you've always got a leg up on the competition. The future was looking bright, for both of us. Until one day... I remember that day, sitting behind the twins as Stan leant over to copy off Ford, but not before spitting a paper ball at the kid next to him. I laughed quietly, trying to focus on my work. Stan began trying to discreetly open a bag of Toffee Peanuts before the teacher gave him a death stare. They made eye contact as Stan just shoved a handful of the treat in his mouth. She merely sighed, clearly too tired to deal with his antics.