Chapter 14

My entire body was shaking, my breathing ragged. My eyes darted around the room, trying to determine where I was as the figures surrounding me finally came into view. My family.

Everyone was alive and well, staring down at me with worry written on their faces. And I was home, in bed... Safe.

Without thinking much, I threw myself into the arms of the closest person, sobbing into their chest. I tried to hiccup out an explanation, but the soft rumbling shushing, combined with the soft sweater on my cheek, and the calloused hands rubbing my back made me fall silent. I was in Ford's arms again.

He set me back against the bed as my breathing slowed, my chest in aching pain. I dabbed at my eyes with the soft blanket, taking a proper look at everyone, before climbing up to hug them as tight as my exhausted arms could muster.

Now satisfied everyone was safe, I sat on the edge of the bed, leaning against the pillows. "So, what happened while I was out?" I asked. Stan offered an explanation, concern etched into his furrowed brows.

"You passed out while you were dancing with Sixer, we took ya home. How long's it been since you got any sleep?" I shrugged nonchalantly.

"I've been taking micro naps, 5 minutes at a time, every few hours." Ford look horrified, seemingly adding up the hours in his head.

"And you substitute proper sleep for this and caffeine? There's no way that is good for your body." He looked like he was going to have an aneurism.

"Better than nothing." I said with a chuckle. Ford didn't respond, still processing the fact that I hadn't had a proper night's sleep in, well, a while.

After a while, everyone went back to their own lives, leaving me with well wishes and my husband, sitting on his side of the bed. "Why aren't you sleeping?" I lay back against the pillows, closing my eyes as I jokingly remarked,

"What are you, my therapist?" After a few seconds of silence, I opened my eyes again to find him just staring at me. I sighed, smile falling as I started to recount my nightmares (including the most recent one) to him.

He nodded, sharing that he'd had a nightmare the night before as well, and that that's what prompted him to go back and Bill-proof the shack in the first place. I stared down at my shaking hands, away from the kindness in his eyes. "I haven't been sleeping properly to keep Bill away, but whenever I pass out like that, or sleep through my alarms... they're so much worse." Ford pulled me against his chest, arms around me. "They're so, so bad." I muttered into his sweater. He gently kissed the top of my head, tilting my face up to meet his eyes.

"We'll find a way to defeat him, but until we do, I'll always be there to protect you." I leaned into him, giving him the first proper kiss I'd given him in 30 years. We separated, shuffling under the covers before we snuggled up together again.

"Please, don't disappear this time, promise you won't." I draped my arm securely across his torso, nuzzling his chest.

"I swear, I'll be here in the morning." He ran a hand down my back gently. "I love you, Y/n." I blushed, curling into him.

"I love you too, Ford."