Chapter 8 - Hunger

* content warning *

       I lay against the floorboards, staring up at the impeccably painted ceiling, trying to ignore the ever-growing pain in my stomach. I'd swallowed down some more water earlier, and though it made the pain more sharp for a moment, it eventually managed to make me feel a little more full and dull the clawing need.

       The boys had invited me back downstairs with them after the meeting, but Gabriel vetoed that plan, insisting that we should all take some time to clean up before hanging out later. The way he eyeballed my hair as he spoke with a wistful, needy glint was a little confusing. I guess I looked really bad or something, which made sense, since I felt pretty gross. North started to protest leaving me upstairs alone, but after a hissed reminder that I was a girl (who apparently needed girl time for girly shit) North relented.

       I strategically didn't mention that I'd rather have my eyeballs poked out than use the shower, and the rest of the boys had finally agreed with his plan.

       We were on the third day of being here, and would be here for at least another four if the rules were anything to go by. If I was honest, I needed to bathe. But I could clean at the sink. I was more concerned about whether I would last that much longer without food. Already I felt weaker than I had in a long time, and so incredibly tired. It was a combination of things, I was sure, but living a waking nightmare made resting seem impossible. Never mind the fact that there was no complimentary breakfast in sight.

       I just wanted to lie here until it was over, but I knew that kind of weakness wouldn't get me through this. Besides, I had a feeling North and the others would only stay away for so long. I'd make it, I always did. I guess mother's favoured insult of comparing me to a cockroach wasn't too dissimilar after all.

       Instead, I scraped myself off the floor and crept back out of my assigned room. Karen's door was open, and I could see that she was awake, though she sat absently picking at the fabric of her dress, clearly lost in thought. Even when I purposefully shifted to make the floor creak, she didn't glance up. After a moment's hesitation and confirming that the rest of the floor was relatively deserted, I headed quietly into the bathroom between our rooms.

       I went straight to the sink, smiling at finding a couple of towels folded neatly in the cupboard beneath it. I selected a dark washcloth, marveling at the soft, luxurious material. All of our towels at home were scratchy and stiff with years of use. When the cloth was dampened with warm water, I started with the most offensive areas - my grimy face, then my armpits, anywhere and everywhere else visible that sweat had accumulated. Considering that the bathroom door didn't lock, I was loath to actually undress, so I decided to just do my hair next.

       I flipped my hair over, tucking errant strands into the sink before letting the faucet run over the ends. I had to let the water run hot, almost scalding, in order to free out some of the oil built up at my scalp. Without soap though - and a search of the cupboard and shower revealed none - it wasn't entirely clean by the time I was done. Instead I squeezed out as much excess water as I could before flipping my head back up and beginning the somewhat painful process of finger combing the damp, tangled strands. 

       There was a creak on the floorboards behind the closed door, but I didn't register it quick enough, as the bathroom door flew open and the handle smacked hard into my back, sending me sprawling. I let out a pained gasp as my hip hit the sink on the way down, staring with wide eyes as first Greg, then Eric, appeared in the open doorway.

       "Fancy finding you all alone in here, Sing Song," Greg said, stepping into my space.

       He smelled strongly of sweat as he yanked me to my feet and leaned his body against mine, pressing me into the wall. I tried to get my hands between us to create some distance, but he clamped a hand tightly around my wrists and raised my arms above my head.