Chapter 9 - Gluttony

We watched in shock as the mirror slid upwards, seemingly into the wall itself, revealing a deep cavity within.

       There were a couple of bags stashed away inside, and Nathan, being the closest, edged over and reached hesitantly in as though the bag might explode at the lightest touch.

       I wouldn't be totally surprised at this point if it did.

       After poking and prodding the bag as gently as possible and taking every conceivable precaution (and then some) the bag was slowly unzipped.

       We paused for a moment, each holding our breath as though waiting for the whole building to collapse on us, or for poisonous snakes to come flying out with bared fangs. Nothing happened.

       Eventually the boys shuffled forward, peering in cautiously to take stock of what was inside.

       Luke let out a sudden hoot, shooting up to his feet and cheering with something clenched in his hands.

       "Oh fucking hell no!" North thundered, immediately chasing after Luke with a look that promised violence.

       "Um!" I squeaked, staring wide eyed after them. Should I do something? Why was no one else doing something?

       Silas seemed unconcerned as he pulled the other bag between us and opened it, shaking his head with a grin as he pulled out a chocolate bar.

       My mouth watered at the thought of chocolate, something I hadn't had in years, a decade even, I thought. Not since my childhood. But I remembered the way my five year old self had hummed with glee as she dug into freshly baked choc chip cookies, wriggling in her seat with happiness while her mother and older sister watched and laughed.

       I shook the thought away when I realised I'd been staring at the little treat in Silas' hands for too long, and that his expression had grown confused and concerned.

       Luke flopped down between us, interrupting whatever Silas might have tried to ask. He was breathing heavily, but grinning, a hint of chocolate smeared across his bottom lip that he quickly swiped away with his tongue.

       The part of my brain that was crazed with hunger and the idea of tasting chocolate was fixated on being irritated that I hadn't licked it off his lips first. I blushed heavily, swiping a hand against my hot cheeks at the mortifying thought. I truly was just as depraved as my mother had always claimed.

       North sat down on Silas' other side, heaved a heavy, world weary sigh and then reached over and smacked his grinning brother across the back of his head. "As if you would manage to find fucking chocolate here of all fucking places."

Silas' eyes felt like a weight on my shoulders as I shifted slightly closer to Luke as North dragged one of the bags closer to peer into the contents.

       Luke met my eyes while North was distracted and held out half of the chocolate bar that I'd thought had been devoured. It took a moment for me to realise he was really offering to share, and then I beamed at him - the brightest smile I was capable of. I wasn't sure if North would smack me as well, so I quickly popped the chocolate into my mouth while he was distracted, pulling it straight from the packet Luke offered with my teeth. Immediately it started melting on my tongue, and I blushed as my stomach grumbled upon tasting the delicacy. And it was so good. I might have even moaned a little, just to properly round out the embarrassment.

       Luke's cheeks had pinked slightly, his lips parted as he watched me savour the treat. I was a little worried I'd gotten ahead of myself and he was upset, but he quickly smiled back at me. He'd been right that first night, it was hard to be sad when someone gave you some of their chocolate.