24 - safe with me

peter told them everything.

he told them about the abuse, the cutting, the fat shaming, the homophobia.

by the end of it tony looked livid and stephen just had a dark look on his face. peter felt a spike of guilt pierce his gut, so he left out the details on him not eating.

"i.... i have to go." tony said abrubtly.

"tony...." said stephen before tony could walk out. stephen turned his back to peter in order to face tony.

"don't." he said sternly.

tony nodded solemnly.
"i won't." he said honestly.

he left the room.
____________

tony left because he was about to lose his shit. it had been his fault.
all of this was his fault.

he had pushed peter to go.
he had spoken about it with aunt may and given her the ok.
he had allowed it to happen.

he opened the door to his room and collapsed infront of the doorway; his breathing quickened as every crevice in his body was filled with anxiety.

his thoughts swarmed uncontrollably, eventually landing him into the memory of when he had an anxiety attack in a car.

driving, the sound of harley's voice, and  then nothing. calmness, tranquility and peace.

he smiled slightly at the memory of that crazy adventure. it wasn't fun at all when he had lived through it, but now he rather enjoyed it. he learned how to live without his suit and that people can come and help you if you ask them to.

his mood quickly darkened as his brain stormed with bad thoughts.

tears slipped his eyes as only one thing would cross his mind.

no one will come save you now.
_________

"hey why is dad taking so long? didn't he just have to go to the bathroom?" asked peter innocently.

he saw his papa's face pale significantly, a thin coat of sweat on his brow.

"he's just talking to steve; you know, avengers stuff." he said with a tight lipped smile. "i'm going to go make you some tea."

peter nodded and watched his papa leave. once he ensured that the coast was clear, he painfully ripped the iv out of his arm. he winced momentarily, but pushed the pain down.

for a moment, his fingers grazed against the bandage that encircled his wrists. a shudder ran through him and memories flashed infront of his eyes. he felt a small, slight burning sensation on both his wrists. tearing his eyes away and setting his jaw square, he lept off of the hospital table and made his way to the elevator.

"Friday, don't tell papa where i am." he said defiantly.

"Peter, i cant do tha-" friday began.

"override code 327." he said.

a few weeks ago, he had been dicking around in the lab and found all the code that friday ran on. he hadn't touched anything obviously; he just memorized all of the codes that friday followed. code 327 was: "do not lie to Tony Stark's husband, or his family, and immediately pull up the security footage."

(that probably makes no sense and that's not how codes work but for the sake of the story, that's how codes work)

friday went silent after that. he nodded breifly and made a checklist in his head on where his dad would be in the building.

lab?

he went down to the lab. nothing.

kitchen?

he couldn't go there because thats where his papa and all of the avengers were.

training room?

nope.

his room?

peter thought it over and nodded with a small smile at his decision.
he took the elevator and rode up to the floor his dad's room was on.

he made his way to his room and knocked on the door.
a faint, barely audiable groan was heard from inside. if peter didn't have advanced hearing, he wouldn't have heard it.

"d-dad?" he said, placing his ear at the door.
again, the same soft groan.

peter set his jaw and placed his fingers  on the handle. it's cool and cold metal sent a shock down his finger tips.

"i'm coming in."
_____________

tony was huddled in a ball a meter from the door way. his eyes were closed, his breathing uneven.
peter immediately shut the door and crouched by his dad's side.

"dad?" he said softly yet urgently. tony's eyes shot open.

"p-p-p-" peter silenced him as he tried to speak.

"don't talk, just breathe." he said gently.
but tony's breathing didn't get any better. it just stayed the same.

"i want you to think of a happy place." peter said gently. tony's panic stricken eyes met his. he smiled softly.
"did you think about it?" peter asked with an encouraging smile.

tony slightly nodded.
"can you tell me what it is?" peter said.
"the lab." tony mumbled.

"ok. good. now i want you to tell me what you feel when you're there." peter repeated. tony's eyes clouded with tears of emotion.

"safe. untouched. protected." he muttered. a few tears slipped down his cheeks.

peter knew why he was crying.
peter knew that he had insinuated the crying.
peter knew exactly what he was doing.

"now feel what you feel there right now." peter watched as tony's breathing became relatively normal.

once tony had calmed down, he embraced peter tightly.
peter smiled softly.

"it's ok. i've got you." he said.
"you're safe here with me."

tony cried and cried and cried for what felt like hours.

peter knew why.
tony knew why.
they were the only people on earth who knew why.

because peter had repeated the exact same words that tony had said to him.