three ; thoughts

CHAPTER THREE
thoughts

"thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simple,"

Athena Grace stood on the stage.

She didn't know how long she had stood there, her expression stoic, her body stilled. Undeniable rage simmered inside her.

The crowd continued to thrash and yell, the peacekeepers struggled to contain the writhing mass, Athena's hand was still intertwined tightly with Jacob's, the two shared strong breaths. Anger, pain and remorse glittered in their eyes.

Peacekeepers broke onto the stage hurriedly.

"You're coming with us, hurry up now," They demanded. Jacob flinched as he looked towards his family.

"What about our families, can't we say goodbye?", the dark-haired boy argued.

The peacekeepers reacted by shaking their heads and gripping his arms tightly, at first Jacob struggled and then let out a defeated sigh, his body relaxing. "I guess I already have," He muttered. Athena looked at him, she understood. He was going to volunteer to go into the arena with her, it wasn't out of pure reaction, it was set from the beginning. Athena's expression was pained. They pulled Jacob from the stage.

It only made the deadlier victor angrier, she was filled with so much rage although she remained composed. Instead of meeting eyes with Jacob she kept them fixed on the ground, turning slightly to glance at her family.

The Grace's wept uncontrollably, Athena gave them a small smile and nod as she began to descend from the stage. The peacekeepers were more tentative around her until finally realising their job. They harshly grabbed her arms and began to drag her.

Athena ceased her footsteps.

"Touch me again and I'll end you,"

The peacekeepers immediately retracted their arms as Athena stood intimidatingly.