Ex-Homewrecker throws herself out a window.

Years of practice kept me from reacting. People knew me by other names, to the point I sometimes forget which was originally mine. The only ones who would- no. No one in this world should- could possibly know.  I'm being ridiculous. It's... It's a common name. I misheard. She must've said master instead of-

"Alice?"

She was close, too close. A heart beat wildly somewhere between she and I. She was the sun and I a cheesy old movie vampire, already I could feel the tiny sliver of common sense I had being incinerated.

"...Alice?" She loosened her grip just enough to look at me,  "What's wrong?"

"Sorry, I-" Even through fabric I burned under her touch, my mind went numb. The voice that spoke didn't sound like my own, "I think you might be confusing me for someone else."

"No." The expression on her face made me wish she had used me as sword pincushion instead, "Don't you dare joke like that. Not now."
Her head drooped onto my shoulder, "Gods, Alice. Isn't it enough?"

I should have pushed her away or at least tried to calm her down, instead my indecisive hands hovering over her shoulders. As useless as usual, the only ways I knew to comfort couldn't be used with this body.

She squeezed me tighter, " -You don't have to give up, but you can't keep doing this alone. Let me help. We're running out of time, it's almost twenty years since they-"

"You're confusing me with someone else, I'm not your old master." I could already feel the beginnings of another headache.

She jerked back, "Master?"
Dark bottomless eyes, like the grave I should've been buried and forgotten in, searched my face. She grew more and more frantic with each passing moment.
"No! I know it's you! It has to be you!" She pressed my hand to her cheek, "I know your voice. Your body language, your magic, your touch!" A slight turn of her head brushed her lips against my palm.
"That skirt you're wearing is the one I gave you to celebrate capturing the capital. You loved it so much you wore it to your coronation instead of the gown  **** prepared."
She froze, "****. You do remember ****, don't you? ****? Your wife?

"I-"

"What about *****? Even if you forget me, you have to remember *****, our *****. Tell me you still remember. Gods, Alice, tell me!"

I didn't need to, she knew answer before I opened my mouth. If heartbreak had a sound, it would have been the noise she made.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm not who you're looking for. I'm sure your Alice still remembers you and, you and everyone else. Besides, look at me. I'm like what, five? Six? I think that might be too young for a wife, and twenty years ago I-"

"You would have been 34, 35 two days after you," she paused like she wanted to say something else, but settled for "disappeared."

Thirty-four plus twenty... four plus zero, then the  placeholder zero, three plus six- nine. that would make her... nine hundred and forty. Wait that can't be right. Great, I need to start over. four plus zero-

The long sound of fabric being torn apart startled me. From collar to midriff the girl's already tattered dress had a freshly made tear. I stopped her from making the gash any bigger and looked away. "Please don't. If you wanted new clothes, you could've just asked. I would've-"

"No," somehow the position of her and my hands switched, so that my wrists were the ones caught, "look!"

I obeyed, but kept my eyes on hers. But like the first time I opened my eyes in this world, my eyes watered and I had to look away. That's when I noticed what at a glance looked like a dark fist-sized mark on the center of her chest.