Chapter 6

"Today we will be starting our practice tournament with Iwatobi Middle School."
"Thank you!" Everyone then bow down.
"Nanase, Tachibana, (Last Name). The three of you hear a voice call out.
"Uh?"
"I'm Yamazaki Sousuke, from Sano SC."
"Sano SC? The one Rin went to?" Makoto asks.
"That's right. Nanase, I challenge you to a 100m freestyle race."
Haru just looks away.
"See you." With that Sousuke left.
You all then start walking ahead.
'Of course, no one wants to race me. Can't blame them.. I wouldn't want to swim with me either.' You think.
'Did I act jealous? This is stupid. I should be happy for Haru. Stupid thoughts!' You think with dislike.

You sit on a bench, staring off into space.
'Am I going to lose again? Am I going to let my team down?' You battle with the demons inside your head.
"(Last Name)? It's time for your race. Come on." A third year calls out for you.

The first years got ready for their race. You were first. At the blow of the whistle (Name) dove right in, swimming with all her might. You reached the finish line and slip off yur goggles. You look up at the board to see you came in last place.
'Disappointed, but not surprised.' You shake your head and got out of the pool. You then watch all the other first year members swim, who also came in last place. You look over where Haruka was swimming and saw Sousuke grit his teeth.
"Nanase, what are you doing?!"
"Stop it Sousuke." A member of the Sano swim team stops him.
'Come near him again and I'll break your bones, Yamazaki-kun.' You thought as you glare at Sousuke.

It was now time for the relay. The last practice match of the day. The first years stood in a queue. You had to swim first. You wear your goggles with a sigh.
'Let's just get this over with..' You tell yourself.
You dive into the pool with the call of the whistle. You try swimming the best you can, but still end up falling behind. You reach the starting point and look at Makoto as he swims after you.
"They're not into it." Natsuya tells Nao.
"They're not." Nao confirms.
Once Haruka finished Makoto held out an arm for him just like always.
"I'm fine." Haruka tells him as he gets out of the pool on his own.
Makoto has a dejected look on his face. He glances at you only to let out a quiet gasp. The usual cheerful and happy (Name) was staring off into space without a care in the world.
'Why is this happening?' Haruka thinks to himself.

"Hey first years. How was the relay?" Natsuya asks.
"Wasn't it obvious enough?" You retort.
Everyone's eyes widen at the tone of your voice.
"(N-Name)!" Asahi punches your shoulder.
"You'll lose to Sano over and over if things go like this. Work harder for the tournament. You guys definitely have more skill." Natsuya says and leaves with Nao as you all stare back in shock.
"Hey! Nanase Haruka!" Sousuke growls out as he marches towards the said boy.
"Yamazaki-kun?" Makoto calls out.
"What was with your swimming? Are you trying to make fun of me?"
"Don't get involved in things that don't concern you." Haruka tells him plainly.
"Don't mess with me!"
You glare at Yamazaki as you step in front of Haruka.
"Back off, psycho. Don't you dare talk to him like that." You warn him.
Haruka looks at you, his eyes looking at you with gently. He grabs hold of your hand and pulls you back. Ikuya looks away feeling jealous.
"What the hell is your problem?!" Asahi intervenes.
"It's fine." Haruka stops Asahi.
"But-"
"How do you think Rin is feeling while swimming right now? Do you think Rin would improve the way you were swimming just now?!"
"It's not like I'm swimming to make Rin happy!" Haruka glares at Yamazaki.
"Come on, you two. Calm down a little.." Makoto tells the two boys.
" I won't allow you to do things half-heartedly!" Sousuke shoves what looked like a letter to Haruka's chest.
"What is this?" You ask.
"A letter from Rin.." Haruka says.
"What?! A letter from Rin?" You were shocked.
Haruka looks away as Sousuke walks ahead. He then shoved the letter in his bag.
"Aren't you going to read it?"
"I'm not." Haruka tells Makoto.

"Haru. Come over to eat dinner with me today. You should come over too, (Name)." Makoto offers.
"It's fine. I'll eat at home." Haruka tells the green eyed boy as he went over to walk towards his house.
"..I'll think about it." You tell Makoto as he gives you a small smile.

"Hey, dinner." Natsuya knocks on Ikuya's door only to be told that he didn't want any.

"I'm a genius, I'm a genius. I'm a a genius, I'm...A genius. I'm...Am I really a genius?" Asahi questions himself in the mirror.

Makoto makes his way to your house. He rings the door bell and watches as you come out.
"Yeah?"
"Let's have dinner together..." He suggests.
"I..I don't really feel like-"
"Stop!"
You jump at Makoto's raised voice.
"M-Makoto..?"
You eyes widen as he grips your shoulders.
"You-Can you stop?! The way you won't talk to anyone and just keep sulking about how slow you are is getting annoying! Instead of acting like a helpless little girl, why don't you actually try to improve?! You have so much potential, and yet you breakdown with come up short! (Name), you're acting childish! Why don't you think of anyone else besides yourself for once? Can't you trust us with your problems? At least with Haru and I? You're being ridiculous!" Makoto lets out in one breath as he runs away.
'Annoying. Childish. Ridiculous.' You keep thinking to yourself as you went back inside your house and lock the door, sinking down to the floor and letting some tears fall out.
"I'm sorry, Haruka, Makoto, Ikuya, Asahi. I'm sorry for everything." You begin to sob.

"Is that your dinner?" Makoto asks Haruka which had a bag of canned mackerel and other things in hand.
Haruka quickly hides everything.
"It has nothing to do with you."
"It does! You haven't been eating what I keep bringing you, right? Your stamina was weak today, too! If you don't want to eat with me that's fine! But you're going to do something to yourself if-"
"Shut up!" Haruka yells.

You stop eating your dinner as your head turns to the noise.
'That was Haru, right? What's going on?' You wonder as you quickly grab a sweater and head outside.

"Everyone is doing things on their own! What's with you and (Name)? You're changing on your own, looking at you hurts!" Haruka grips Makoto's shoulders who stares at his best friend in shock.
"Why are you forcing yourself to change?"
"Haru.."
"You're Makoto."
Realization hits Makoto as he remembers the moments he spent with Haruka and (Name).
"I'm me.."
"Mako-"
"What the hell is going on out here? You guys want the neighbours to think you're crazy?!" You scold the two boys who turned their attention towards you. You were in a dress, bunny slippers and a sweater.
"Haru, (Name)! Come with me!" Makoto then grabs Haruka and (Name)'s hand as he lead them somewhere.
"W-What! But-"
"Just trust me!"
You sigh as you go along with whatever was happening and keep running.

The three of you swim in Iwatobi SC's pool in complete bliss.
"It feels good." Makoto says in happiness.
"Yeah." You smile genuinely.
"I thought I would surely change when I'd become a middle schooler.." Makoto begins to explain.
"Nao-senpai said to me maybe I didn't like swimming and did it just because you two were there with me."
"I see."
"I never thought about that before. I didn't know what to think.." He continues.
"Is that why you were avoiding me?"
"I wasn't trying to but when I got near you or (Name), I felt even more confused..It felt painful."
"Makoto.." you look at the boy sadly.
"I'm sorry, Haru, (Name)."
"You don't have to apologise! I wasn't any better.." You tell him.
"I was at fault too." Haruka tells the two of you.
"(Name). What happened to you?" Makoto questions.
"Nao-senapai..He told me that girls are way slower than other boys. Of course I  know that too but..I started to have thoughts about how i didnt want to be letting anyone down..and that I wasn't fast enough..The fact that we could lose because of me..scared me. I..don't want to disappoint anyone.." The girl confessed as the two boys look at her in shock.
"(Name)! Everyone knows you're fast. You just lose concentration and you get slow because of it. You're a fast swimmer. You know that." Makoto told the girl.
The girl smiled at him.
"I like swimming but I also want you two to be there."
Haruka and (Name) stare at Makoto.
"I love swimming and Haru-chan and (Name), so I want to swim with you two!" The boy gave Haruka and (Name) a beautiful smile.
(Name) smiled widely at they boy as she nodded.
"I told you to stop calling me Haru-chan." Haruka looks away.
"That's right. Sorry." Makoto's smile remains as (Name) snickers.
"And..of course the three of us would swim together." Haruka confirmed.
"Yes!" Makoto and you say.
"Let's go home, Makoto, (Name)."
"Wait up, Haru!"
"You're embarrassed, aren't ya? Haru, you're so cute!"

Things were now alright with them.

Here's chapter 6.