Heartbreak

With the lab coat covering my eyes I was escorted through the house. I had to climb two sets of stairs, nearly slipping on one of them. Before I fell, someone caught my arm, but I couldn't see who it was. I was dumped inside a room.

"You stay here, will you?" I heard Dimitri say.

I sighed when I heard the door close. I threw off the lab coat and looked around me. I was in a small room with two beds. The room was nicely decorated, with a little fireplace, an oaken wardrobe, a red carpet and some small paintings. One thing especially caught my eye: a little tapestry hanging above the fireplace. It depicted a lot of humans, naked, climbing a wall. I took a closer look, and saw that the people at the bottom of the wall were strigoi, their bared teeth bloody. Above them humans tried to escape, climbing up the wall and leaving a bloody trail. The ones that reached the top of the wall came in the sunlight, but I saw they were burned by the sun, nasty flesh wounds covering their skin. Suddenly I heard loud voices from the hall. Silently I pushed my ear against the door trying to hear what they were saying.

"You are a danger to her!" I heard Rusl's voice.

"You're the one to talk." A quieter voice, I believed to be Dimitri's.

"She is a victim of Dampé, you are the one who brought him to her."

 Silence.

Rusl started talking again. "You love her don't you?"

I felt my heart beating wildly against my chest.

"I will never love her. Never again..."

I felt like my world turned upside down. My lip trembled. I wouldn't cry over him, that lying son of a bitch was not worth it. I sat down on the ground with my back against the door, taking deep breaths. I had to remain strong, for Lissa. The moment I thought of her I felt a sharp pain run through my head.  Ugh. I heard some footsteps nearing and quickly stood up, however, the pain had made me dizzy, and I tripped over the carpet. The door opened the moment I landed with my ass flat on the ground. Rusl stared at me.

"What are you doing on the ground?"

I tried to stand up, but I guess I looked a bit wobbly, as Rusl rushed to my aid.

"Are you okay?"

"Headaches. Again." I grunted.

Rusl nodded. "We decided to postpone the blocking of the bond. It will cost you lots of energy and considering the way you feel now we thought a night of sleep would not be an unnecessary luxury."

That relieved me, although I still felt heavy-hearted, because of Dimitri's words. They stung. I tried to distract myself from the subject.

"Do you already know what Dampé wants with the bond?"

Rusl shook his head.

"We don't really know, but it can't be good."

I sat down on the bed, not trusting my legs. 

"Do you know what time it is?"

Rusl looked at his watch. "It's about 22:30, I would say you'd better go to sleep, if you believe Marshall, tomorrow will be living hell."

"Marshall, ey? Maybe he doesn't know I am already living in hell.."

Rusl raised one of his eyebrows. "Am I that bad as company?"

I smiled a little and looked at him. "You haven't got the faintest idea."

"Well, I hope you'll be able to get used to it, because I am sleeping here tonight."

That was an interesting turn of events. I had just assumed that I had a room for myself.

"Couldn't you share a room with Dimitri?" His name almost hurt on my tongue.

"We thought it'd be safer if one of us watched you."

And Dimitri wouldn't do that, or Rusl wouldn't let him. Considering the situation I was kind of glad that Dimitri wouldn't sleep in the same room.

"Well, I think in that case I'd better go to bed. Could you give me a moment, or would you like to enjoy the show?"

Rusl's reddened cheeks almost made me forget my emotional pain. Almost. When he left I wondered if he would notice if i slept naked. I decided against it, just in case I had to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. I looked at the wardrobe. Would it be too rude to steal a pair of pajamas? I opened the door and peeked inside. The wardrobe contained some trousers, and a few shirts. I grabbed a big white shirt that was big enough to cover my briefs. I quickly took off my clothing and bra and put the shirt on. I turned the lights off and crept into one of the beds. Laying there with nothing more than my own thoughts, my mind lingered on Dimitri. I felt weak. I had to banish him from my thoughts. At least an hour passed until I heard the door open softly and I saw Rusl's silhouette slip into his bed. A few minutes later I heard his steady breathing, indicating he already had fallen asleep, oblivious to the fact that I was still awake. His breathing somehow calmed me, and I managed to fall asleep.

I heard voices.

"Maybe I could erase him from your mind you know"

And suddenly I was wide awake, slightly panting. I hadn't dreamed, at least not that I knew of, but I felt very wrong. I wouldn't fall asleep anytime soon, so I decided to seek the toilet. I quickly looked to the other bed, checking if I hadn't woken Rusl. To my surprise, Rusl was not there. Well, I hoped I wouldn't bump into him on my way to the toilet.

I opened the door of the room and for the first time I saw the rest of the house. I noticed the high amount of doors in the hall. I wondered in which room Dimitri was sleeping... On the outside, next to the high flats, it had seemed a small house, but on the inside I saw that the house reached far to the back. There were not a lot of windows, making the house a little dim and dusty. At the end of the long hall there was a big window. I walked to it, and through it I could see what once could have been a beautiful garden. I guess Marshall was doing other things than gardening. Next to the window was a door that looked different from the others, much older, but also more decorated with little flowers. No way was that the toilet, however curiosity got the best of me and I just hoped that this wasn't the master's bedroom when I grabbed the door knob. 

Inside were books. Lots and lots of books. I had never been much of a reader, but this amount of books would astonish everyone. The room had the size of a large living room, with a large armchair in the middle. More breathtaking was the glass dome in the ceiling, giving me a perfect view of the night sky. It was enchanting.

"You couldn't just stay in your bed, could you?"

~~~A/N~~~

It's not much, but I try my best :)