Chapter 4

Dad knocks on my door at exactly 7:05am. Peter left at exactly the right time. If he'd left any later my dad would've caught us. "I'm awake" I call out to him. Running down the stairs I'm greeted by the sound of bacon sizzling in the pan. "Special last breakfast" dad sings to me. I sit down at the table. Kitty's on the couch watching tv as usual.
"Kitty, are you having breakfast?" I ask her.
"Later" she replies distantly.
"Kitty come sit down at the table please. We are having breakfast as a family this morning."
"5 more minutes?" she asks hopefully.
"No" dad replies.
"2 more minutes?" she pleads.
"Fine. But only 2" he concedes.
Margot walks down the stairs looking more tired than ever. "Bad sleep?" I ask her.
"Mhm" she mumbles back as she flops down into a chair.
"Dad, where's Trina?"
"Upstairs getting ready for SoulCycle. She'll be down soon" he replies while frying the eggs.
"When can I go to SoulCycle with Tree?" Kitty asks curiously.
"When you are 15 Kitty!" Trina calls from upstairs.
"Ugh that's still 2 years away!" Kitty says in disgust.
"It's not that long in the big scheme of things. You'll be 15 before you know it, I'm sure" Trina says as she walks down the stairs. As soon as everyone is sitting at the table, dad serves us our bacon and eggs. We talk and we eat and then we talk some more. I'm going to miss having breakfast like this every morning.

After breakfast I go upstairs to get dressed into my uniform. I pack my bag and curl my hair. I even put on a dab of makeup just for good measure. I'm nervous but I think I'm ready.