Episode XV

A butterfly emerged from its cocoon. Unfolding its obsidian-like wings as it prepared to take flight, soaring high like its predecessors. Lifting its chin up in its majestic halo, it leaped with passion.

It was flying!

Finally, after watching its fellow caterpillar friends evolve into a different form, it could finally fly. It could be free. It could be beautiful. It could be like them.

It breathed in the freedom of the ground. Away from the gravity that chained it to the earth, it felt so alive.

Alive.

"I wonder."

And then, it felt pain all over.

The obsidian butterfly felt the electricity coursing through its veins, so sudden, so powerful. It could not scream because it has no vocal chords unlike the humans, but it was shaking all over.

Before it could even understand what was happening to it, it felt the sickening feeling of gravity, again. It felt weightless. Like a balloon, it was in the mercy of the wind's direction.

And that's when it realized, why it stopped flying, why it felt so light. It knew what was lost.

It lost its wings.

"You will never be freed, doggie."

He couldn't breathe in the silence of it. He could only hear his heart pulsing.

His thoughts were conflicting.

His brain told him to die.
When he dies, all will end.
All pain, all tears.

But,
His heart told him to live.
If he lives, all will change.
A possibility, a future.

Perhaps, he was the butterfly.

===

When the boy woke up, he was struck with the familiarity of the room. Because, it was his room.

But, how?

He recalled the events, when a delicious smell invaded his nose. It was the old woman, carrying his trophy.

In a mere split of a second, he was already giving her a deadly choke-hold, causing her to drop his darling. But when at this moment, he could care less about his darling. At this moment, all he thought of was ending her life.

How, on earth, did she cause his defeat? How did she know, that his left shoulder, was his weakness?

Yes, the boy, unknown by all, has actually multiple weaknesses. All hidden with expert detail, in fear of being discovered by the humans. His left shoulder is one of them. After all, it was his favorite part with the countless, horrific injections.

Before he could even close his grip, he felt something blocking her neck. It felt gummy-like. The woman smiled, "You aren't strong enough to kill me." The boy flinched as she gripped his hand and flung it away as if her actions were trivial.

The boy is unpredictable, but he isn't stupid. The moment she knocked him out yesterday, he knew she could've killed him. Judging by her strength, she could even beat the clown without any sweat. So, the boy decided, he would behave. Because if she really wanted to kill him, then following that logic, he wouldn't have woken up. But he was still weary of her identity.