I | A Hidden Tomb

Aphmau's POV

The library was cold, and quiet. Lo was humming to himself in a corner, and Lucinda was muttering as she attempted to remove the enchantments on the books. She had such high hopes for this place, all of which depended on Lucinda's magical ability.

"Have you figured anything out?" She asked.

"No. And if you keep asking it will only take longer."

"Sorry."

"Why don't we explore the caves further back?" Lo offered.

"Sounds good." Aphmau agreed, eager to have something to do.

"Have fun." Lucinda murmured.

"We will." Lo assured her, striding into the nearest tunnel.

"Wait for me!" Aphmau ran after him.

= = =

"Do you really have four children?" Lo asked after a while.

"Yes. You met the oldest two, Levin and Malachi."

"Where are the younger two?"

"I'm afraid I can't say. They were hidden for their safety, with... well, the current threats."

"You must miss them."

"More than anything, but their safety comes first."

Lo nodded.

"What's this?" He asked, as they turned a sharp corner. The path and walls changed from a grey stone, to a blinding white marble. It reminded Aphmau of the Irene dimension- her dimension.

"It reminds me of somewhere I've been." She muttered.

"Where?"

"Another dimension."

"You've been out of this dimension?" Lo exclaimed.

"Multiple times."

"You are going to tell me about that."

"After we investigate this." Aphmau replied.

"I'm fine with that."

= = =

Their footsteps echoed against the cold marble. A pair of carved pillars marked the transition from the long, dim tunnel into a small room. It was a strange room, made entirely of marble, except for a small moat of water on the outside. On the far wall was an achingly familiar symbol etched in dark purple- the symbol of Irene. Aphmau hesitated at the small bridge leading over the moat. Something inside of her knew that once she crossed this bridge, there was no going back.

"Are you coming?" Lo asked.

She nodded resoundingly. As much as she knew it seemed like a bad idea, whatever was in the centre, she sensed that she needed it- or who. The very centre of the room held a small coffin like object. It too had the symbol of Irene on it.

"What is that symbol?" Lo inquired, his voice echoing strangely.

"It's Irene's symbol."

"Oh."

"Is this a tomb then, do you think? For one of the divine warriors?"

Aphmau didn't reply. The coffin was pulling her in like a magnet. She stretched out her hand to touch it, and the world went black.

= = =

"Irene." A young child whimpered.

"It's okay my dear." Aphmau heard her voice reply.