Chapter 20 - The Calm before the Storm

(Naveeah's point of view)

As I made my way towards Katie, she seemed less and less upset, like she was maybe trying to conceal the fact that she was even upset in the first place. Let's be real though, I grew up with this girl, we were childhood best friends and I know when she's upset. From the looks of it right now, she was definitely upset. She may think trying to hide it will work on me but I'm not that stupid.

"Katie, can we please have a quick chat?", I ask but it comes out more like I'm begging her.

"I'm sorry, I actually have to get to class unlike you", she says, turning away from me.

"Come on Kat", I plead, placing my hand softly on her shoulder.

I'm surprised when I see her turn around, but I wasn't sure whether she would actually speak to me.

I know she is most likely trying her best to avoid eye contact with me for as long as possible but it wouldn't last. I watched as she crossed her arms in a defensive manner and looked to the floor near me.

"What was that about? With Dawson?", I question her gently and she raises an eye brow at me.

"Oh- so now you wanna know about my private life? That's funny, seen as you won't even tell me about yours", she snickers and I let out a sigh.

"Look I don't want to fight and honestly, I don't know where this is coming from Katie but me, Luke and the rest don't deserve it. We want our friend back", I paused for a slight second, "What happened between us today was wrong. That's not how friends act, some of the stuff you said was out of line."

Her face finally met mine again and she looked guilt ridden and shamefaced. Though she also had this look of complete and utter sadness lingering behind her eyes.

What happened between her and Dawson?

Her eyes were glossy, she was close to crying but holding it in. She was hiding something and whatever it was to do with, involved Dawson. I know she won't tell me, so there's not point in asking, I've tried. He is obviously forcing her to keep quiet about something or possibly making her do something for him. I only hope it's not too serious and that she can get herself out of the situation because Dawson is one difficult guy to deal with.

"I'm sorry about what I said before alright? I was hurt and I felt betrayed. A lot of shit has been going on and I guess this situation was the cherry on top. I took my frustrations out on you", she barely admits.

"I forgive you and once again, I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. Just know it was never my intention to keep it from everyone for so long. I guess we just went on with our lives and didn't see a point to making a massive deal out of it."

"Yeah I guess."

"Luke and I- we really like each other, so us being together was always going to happen. It was kind of bound to happen. We just didn't want make a big deal about it when it did finally happen", I try to explain, hoping she'll understand me.

"I get that Naveeah. The only thing I can say to you now is live it up, because your happiness with him won't last long", she warns me with an intensity I don't understand.

"Katie... what is that supposed to mean?", I murmur.

"You know what just forget it, I've got to get to class now", she finishes by saying.

Now that was fucking sketchy, it almost sounded like a threat.

What did she even mean by 'Your happiness with him won't last long'? Like is she planning to interfere and do something?