Chapter 22

Mernique kept on seeing these images of how she kills them... hurt the people she loved. She couldn't hear or see anything.

Just endless nightmares... when she saw Raymond's face the panic began...but the more she tried to control it the worse it got.... The more out of hand it got. As a mortal she never had to be afraid for hurting them... she was the one watching them erupt. She was shaking so much her powers screaming... threatening to consume her. 

Calm...calm...calm...she whispered to herself. The roaring in her ears won't stop and a massive wind was blowing at her. Raymond was dead... but he was standing... bruised and bloody but alive. You killed him. A voice whispered...yes...she saw him die there is no way that was Raymond. That was a trick on her mind.

Raymond is gone... nothing is bringing him back. Yes, child give in...they would be safer...from you. She held her arms around her body. "Mernique!" A familiar voice called. No, she told them to stay away. She willed the storm to grow. It became stronger, faster and hotter." Mernique! Where are you?" The voice called again.

 "Go away! Please...just go!" She begged the voice to be smart to leave her and run. Soon a figure appeared in front of her. Raymond once again in his fighting leathers bruised and bloody but... this is punishment. It must be it... "Go away! Leave me alone!"The storm grew worse. No, no stay calm she urged herself. "No... I won't leave you alone.

I am a stubborn guy and you would have to do more than a little fire then to scare me off!" The voices grew again...killer, murderer, traitor... The storm wasn't touching him... it was flowing past him like it would part for him. He moved to her but she scrambled away from him her vision felt dark and her body drained. Good, then this nightmare would end.

"Mernique! Stop running from me!" Raymond followed her unfazed by the storm. How is that possible? She moved deeper in the storm when she crashed on her knees. She sensed Raymond nearby," If you were Raymond you would have been smart... the Raymond I know isn't reckless and stupid. 

He would know when he sees a threat and...eliminate it."She swallowed... what she was asking from him..."If you really were Raymond you would know it is not safe near me, because of last time and you would run and safe yourself...save my family. "He was quiet... he was gone. It was just a mirage that is all... You think you can control this... you can't.

She felt the power leaving her body. She couldn't stand this much longer... She felt a hand on her shoulder. Raymond was kneeling next to her, his blue eyes sparked with life. She tried wriggling free... getting away but he held on his grip.

She closed her eyes letting her greatest regret be the last thing she sees," Look at me. "He said but his voice would be the last thing she hears. She suddenly felt a hand titling her chin up and the words he spoke were so strong and firm, "Look at me. You are not a monster. You are not a killer.

 You're a strong girl who has come too far to let this be the end. You're the girl who jumped in front of rocks to save my sister... shoved my brother out the way to save his life... saved a dragon.... Saved me..." She felt a few tears fell down her cheek and he wiped them away." I didn't save you I killed you..." She was smashed with reality.

Lifeless Raymond... grey eyes...  the life fading from it. He released her chin and gently took her hand. She tried yanking it back but his grip was like steel. He placed it on his chest right where his heart should be. 

The heart she felt stop. She felt something beating softly against her fingers," You are selfless, reckless and brave. Yes, you don't think before jumping head first but you showed me what was like to feel again. Not to be... alone, worthless, cold.