Behind the Scenes (ch.2)

(T.J's POV)

"Thomas John! Come here! I need to speak with you."

"Okay, mom, what is it about?"

"It's about the court date. It's time, honey."

"Mom. I told you, I don't want to start anything. I want to pretend that nothing happened, and I want to sleep until I forget. Please, don't start this tonight."

"We need to take a stand and help your dad get home faster. It's time to end this, T.J."

People think I have the "perfect" life. I'm popular at school, I'm good-looking, I'm the captain of the basketball team, and I go out of my way to get what I want. Even at home, I come from affluent parents that love me. I never really seem to lose. 

Except my dad got caught. And now everything is different at home.

And now I'm facing a learning disability. And now a girl at school--Buffy Driscoll--won't leave me alone. I'd almost think she likes me, if she wasn't so self-absorbed and stuck-up with me...

Nonetheless. My life is falling apart at the seams, and there's nobody here to keep me from myself. Everything is too confusing, and all I want to do is sleep and not wake up. 

I'm afraid to go to school and fail another exam. I'm afraid that somebody will catch me when I'm off-guard and out of my head. I worked so hard to build and maintain my "image", but life doesn't seem to care all that much about a person's self-identity. 

"Mom, I'll be back later. I'm going to go shoot some hoops at the park for a while."

"T.J, honey, you can't run from this forever."

"I'll be home by dark. Promise."

*sigh* "Be safe, baby. Wear a jacket."