If It Means a Lot to You (ch. 4)

(Cyrus' POV)

Next weekend is my 16th birthday party. It's going to be a huge party, complete with a beautiful venue, lots of food, and live music. I can't wait to celebrate the day with my friends, and I can't wait to finally celebrate. I just feel like I'm missing something...

...A tuxedo!

I don't really want to go shopping with Andi or Buffy-- I need a guy's opinion. Maybe I should ask T.J, and see if he'd like to go with me. He always looked so great. There he is now, talking to one of his friends!

"Hey, T.J!" He smiled at me as he jogged over. I could feel my cheeks getting flushed already, thinking of how he just left his friend to come talk to me.

"Underdog!"

His smile was...kind of beautiful. I caught my cheeks flush and silently prayed he hadn't thought too much of it. 

"Hey, so I was wondering if you were free after school today?"

T.J's smile turned into a grimace as he gave me the dreaded "Oh, sorry...I'm a little busy today..."

I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me. Of course he didn't want to hang out with someone like me. 

"Oh, that's alright" I said, trying my best to smile.

T.J's frown started to curl upwards, and now he was smirking at me. 

"Aren't you going to ask me what I'm doing after school today?" He sounded hopeful.

I sighed and wistfully asked, "What are you busy with after school?"

T.J looked into my eyes, his gaze hollowing out my stomach in the best way. 

"I'll be hanging out with my Underdog."

How did 7 words instantly make my knees feel like jelly? 

"That's perfect, T.J. You're just the guy I wanted the opinion of."

"My opinion? You want MY opinion? What for?"

It might have been my imagination, but it almost looked like his cheeks were turning pink...

"I have a very important celebration coming up--my 16th birthday. I needed to find a tuxedo, but I don't trust my sole opinion. I was thinking I needed a second eye, perhaps from somebody who has a cooler sense of style."

T.J looked at me thoughtfully. 

"Okay, I'm definitely down to help you out...as long as I'm invited."

"Of course you're invited!" I said, maybe with too much excitement in my voice.

"And..."

And?

"...and you need to save me a dance."

His cheeks went from baby pink to crimson red as soon as he finished his statement. 

"T.J."

"...Yeah? Yes?" He said with a slight tremble in his voice.

"I would save you all my dances if I could."

(END OF CHAPTER 4)