Chapter 41

“Jesus Caleb it’s only 2 hours of your time… Can you please just come.”

“Tatianna, I’m busy today… I can’t come.”

“You never come with me… It’s two hours please.”

“No, I can’t”

“Babe all my family’s at Church. Can’t you come, Isaiah is starting to dislike church and maybe if you came he might like.”

“We can’t shove religion down his throat.”

“But I can for sure introduce him to it.” I say simply as I fix my earrings and my dress. After a few weeks of being natural, I alternate and now my hair is hidden from man’s eye as it is wavy. My green day dress is flowing and I walk in the apartment getting my son ready as well.

“Isaiah, get ready. We’re leaving.” I say simply as he is sitting on the couch and he sighs

“Why does daddy get to stay home? It’s unfair.”

“Daddy’s grown and you’re my baby. So now get your stuff together and fix your shirt.”

He shakes his head.

“No.”

“Isaiah, I’m not playing…”

“No mommy I’m not going.”He says once again shaking his head.

“You have 5 seconds before I go get my belt Saiah.” I say simply and his blue eyes widen a bit.

“1…2…3” He is still sitting down but as I walk to my room to get my belt I hear him sprint to the room to fix himself and by the time I’m at 4 and a half he yells that he is ready.

Walking to our room I look at my husband who is still sitting on the bed calculating something and talking on the phone not looking at me.

“So I take it you’re not coming?” I ask once again.

He doesn’t even hear me and continues to talk until he looks up at me for a brief second before looking at me apologetically. “No babe, I’m sorry I’ll make it up to you… How about we go to that restaurant you like tomorrow?” He says and I sigh and roll my eyes as I kiss him softly and walk out.

*

Walking hand and hand with my son as we enter the church, I can’t help but feel my spirit be healed and lifted. Taking a seat with Isaiah in the pew, I see Shani and 12 year old Elijah who Isaiah takes as a big brother. As we sit, the boys whisper and I hug Shani and say hi.

“Where’s Deon?” I ask her.

“At home sleeping, you know he couldn’t be bothered with church…”

“Same here. Caleb’s the exact same way. He doesn’t understand.” I say and she nods her head.

“No one does.”

“Mommy I’m bored.” I hear my son say and I just ignore him at this point, because apparently with the men in my life there is no winning.

During the service, I feel at home as I look at everyone and I can’t help but wonder why I haven’t been.  In the past few years it’s been once in every two or three weeks but I can guarantee that it is a weekly thing. Singing the songs and listening to the preacher preach is something that I’ve missed. So when I go home with my son I decide to make it a traditional Sunday.

Changing my clothes and putting some Kirk Franklin, I go in the kitchen and make a dinner that my mommy and aunties would usually make on Sundays. Of course it is a Haitian meal. Tying my hair and getting my son so he can watch, I smile as he helps and tries to sing with the choir. As we cook together I haven’t failed to notice that my husband isn’t here.